Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel name

Wondering how many breeders have there kennel name registered? Pro's & con's?

Re: Kennel name

Pros - nobody can steal it

Cons - none that I know of

Probably the only con is that you have to pay for it, but it isn't too much, so I guess there are no cons.

Re: Re: Kennel name

Besides someone stealing your name is there some other benefit to having a registered name?

The name you breed and show dogs under is your legacy in this sport. It is your reputation. Registering your kennel name keeps copycats and others from putting your kennel name on their dogs. That way when people see "joeblow" once upon a star in the ring they know it is realted to the real 'joeblow' kennel and not some byb person trying to pawn their dogs off as qualiy. If you are just getting started this does not seem as important as to someone that has 30 years of blood, sweat and tears in working with their dogs and their pedigres. They have a reputation and a legacy and should be able to defend it by registering their kennel name to keep copycats from riding on their coattails.

Very well put BBE.... I seem to remember some years back that someone was using the Sandylands kennel name on dogs that had nothing to do with Sandylands... If your kennel name is register then only you can use it on the AKC papers.. You would have to sign the little box that says its OK to use your name on this dog... My name is register, I've work way to long - 30 plus years - ot have some else use it hap hazardly...

I'd love to register my kennel name one day. But I really don't see me breeding 5 litters in 5 years though, (one of the requirements) as I will only be breeding when I want to keep something. Maybe one day?

Re: Re: Re: Kennel name

Thank you! I will definetly register my kennel name!

I would like to register my kennel name of WILMARK also, but I too do not breed enough to meet those requirements.

I love my name and glad we registered it.