Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

A friends nursing bitch some how got a punture wound through the bottom of her foot. It goes all the way through. Very swollen. Started soaking and cleaing. Applied bandage for support and to keep clean and dry. I remember giving one of my girls an RX but don't recall what it was. Was thinking it was Clavamox? The pups are one week old. They are eating and gaining wt. Mother is eating and seems ok, but very sore. Don't really want to expose mom to stuff at the Vets office.

Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

A deep puncture, particularly one that is very swollen is not to be taken lightly and treated at home. Punctures can deeply drag in anaerobic bacteria, such as tetanus, or clostidium, neither of which is anything to fool around with, they can cause sepsis, high fever, toxic shock and death. I know because I almost had a nursing bitch die from a clostridium infection and I caught it within an hour or two.
Personally, I would risk a trip to the vets; serious punctures warrant fast medical intervention, and I would not be wasting time trying different antibiotics recommended by people on the internet!
If she is concerned about bringing pathogens home on her feet, spray her feet with a disinfectant or antibacterial shampoo or spray, then wipe off with a wet towel. She can also wipe down the body with a hot towel. That's what I do with a nursing bitch who has to go to the vets to prevent exposure to the puppies at home.
Good luck and get her to the vet!

Re: Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

I agree with Robin....also to minimize exposure to other animals at the Vet's office ask for the first appointment of the day and don't bring Mom into the building until the Vet is ready to see her. After the Vet has examined her take her directly to the car...don't let her walk around to go potty on clinic grounds either. Good luck with Momma dog!

Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

I had a nursing mom that was on clavamox no problems!

Re: Re: Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

Our vet will come outside to our van to examin or give shots so we have minimum exposure to either a pregnant bitch or one who just had pups, or our young puppies. With a nursing bitch we had given Amoxicillan which was safe for the puppies. I do agree get your girl to the vet ASAP, a punture wound can be serious.

Re: Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother.

Here's what your vet will do...they will shave the area, open and flush the wound with Betadine and apply an antibiotic ointment to the area, give clamamox and tell you to do the same once or twice a day to prevent the puncture from closing up and allowing it to drain. I use injectable pennicillion and just draw it up and squirt it right into the wound, let it dry and wipe off the excess. It's important that the wound stay open and heal from the inside out to prevent infection.

Re: Re: Re: safe antbiotics for nursing mother. Update.

Mom and pups are doing fine. I had the same idea. Opened wound soaked in bedadine. Had her dry it real well apply light bandage to help absorb drainage and not get dirty or on pups. Changed often. Swelling had gone way down and drainage looks much better ,with in 24 hours. Taking Ceph all seems to be going ok. Pups are a week old and weigh almost 2 pounds. Thanks for everyones input.