Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Evaluating a Pup at Different stages

I am looking for some guidance on several issues. I had a litter of pups last winter and evaluated my puppies and kept what I felt was the pick of the litter. I took monthly pictures of her starting at 8 weeks and now at 9 months she is not developing as nicely as I had hoped. In all honesty when is enough, enough. I mean does everyone reach say 6 months, 9 months, or 1 year and decided that they are not what you have hoped for and place them in a pet home. I konw this is something that we all face, so placing her is not the issue for me it is making sure I don't palce her to early as at 8 weeks she looked very good.

Re: Evaluating a Pup at Different stages

I am not one to jump to placing a dog because they do not look great at 6,7, or 8 months. I believe in giving them a chance. If your girl looked good as a puppy I would give her some more time to fill out and change. I had a case last year when I kept a female, pick of the litter without question. She looked horrible at 8 months, I saw pics of her sister at the same age and she looked awesome. I gave my female more time, now at a year and a half I am so glad that I did. She filled out a lot and looks amazing. So if it were me, I would give your girl time to fill into herself and change. She is only 9 months old, she's still a baby with plenty of time to change.
-E.

A lot depends on the lines your puppies are from; some lines look good at 8 weeks and stay that way, never going through an awkward stage on their way to adulthood.

For other lines, 9 months is the WORST time to look at your dog and try to decide what's going to happen in the future! The general line of thought that I try to keep in mind is that what you see at 8 weeks is what they'll return to EVENTUALLY! Some lines just take longer than others.

Just take a deep breath, smile , and allow your puppies to grow up!

Honestly, it all depends on the genes behind your puppy. My lines are very slow to develop. I don't throw any real prospects out unless they have obvious serious faults until they are at least 18-24 months old. My last champion looked awesome at 8 weeks of age. From 4 months of age until he reached 2 years of age, I was embarassed to be seen with him. He's still not through developing at just over 3 years of age, but he's getting close. How did the parents of your pup develop? If you don't know, check with the breeders you bought him/her from.

Re: Re: Evaluating a Pup at Different stages

Exactly!

-E.

Remember what we tell the people that purchase a puppy from us "A Labrador in general is a slow maturing breed" and then put a bag on the puppy and one on you until the "puppy uglies" are outgrown! You might also want to consider growing her until she passes clearances, do a breeding to see what she produces. Per a previous thread you can see that some of the most outstanding bitches who produce consistently are not great show dogs.

I know of one male puppy in particular that, at 6 months the owner said she could not have GIVEN him away he was so ugly!
This puppy ended up winning BISS at the National and other specialties, and was very influential in the breed.
I was told when I bred to this stud dog that the puppies in the whelping box would look like "KMart puppies", and some of them DID! One puppy we called "Eddie Munster" at 8 weeks, he was so funny looking. Guess what? All three puppies we kept, including "Eddie" out of that litter ended up gorgeous!
SO, yes it does depend on the line. Some lines need to be evaluated at 6 weeks and some 7 or 8 weeks. Some lines go through some pretty trashy stages, some never, ever fall apart.
The best guidance you can get is from a breeder knowledgeable in these lines, and pictures are not always 100% accurate. Things like movement, balance, and just a feel for the puppy enter into the decision as well.
Brian Boru is another stud dog of long ago that was not much to look at as a youngster but boy did he turn out nice, with one of the most classically beautiful heads of the breed. He produced himself, and beautifully.
I would keep your young bitch for awhile longer, and try to get some knowledgeable breeders who know the lines well to help you decide. Good luck, and sometimes it's all about the luck!