Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
POOP EATERS

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop a dog from eating poop other than the stuff you buy ( forbid) or meat tenderizer. I am at my witts end!!! PLease Help

Re: POOP EATERS

On occasion, canned pumpkin has worked for me. I have had to use it at every meal and every day. It has not worked on every poop eater that I have had, but on quite a few. That and picking up the yard multiple times per day.
Julia

Pick up the poop in your yard so there is none there to eat.

In the same boat, I havent found anything that works yet. We just try to pick up as much as possible/as soon as possible.

I am not a breeder but an owner of senior labs. My 12 year old only "recycles" in the winter, we call poopsicles. The 10 year old came to us as an all season recycler. The first couple of times I caught her unfortunately I FIRMLY called her name she she stopped immediately. However, then she would not go in the yard, only on walks. Boy, did I learn from that! Now, I go out with her and putter in the garden, keeping an eye on her. If she attempts, I just say softly, leave it (something she knew) and it works great. But if I don't keep an eye on her, recycle city. She does hesitate now, so I think she is improving. Never tried any products, this is working out pretty well. Teach "leave it" and give it a try. Good Luck. I think we are in for the long haul.

Nothing has worked for me other than picking it up as soon as it hits the ground.

The only difference I have seen is feeding a grain free food. Its not 100% but very close to it.

I feed Natures Variety Instinct.

I know people feeding Orijen and they say the caprophasia has stopped completely.

i have several coprophagic dogs, i've done forbid, meat tenderizer, tobasco sauce, wheat germ, pumpkin, etc etc etc

following them around with a poop scoop is the only thing that works, that and turning my back and blindfolding my husband

barb

The only thing I have found that works is NO NO NO.
So when I say NO when they even look they don't touch it. But if you have cats around or even wild cats that come through and poop they will find it and it.

If I yell NO or Leave It they tend to just wolf it down quicker before i can get to them to pull them away.

Picking it up every time does help deter the habit. The less access they have the better chance they will stop doing it at those times you can't pick it up right away.

Re: Re: POOP EATERS

I know alot of it is common sense. Pick it up. But what do you do if the moment the dog goes to the bathroom it turns around and eats it. Or when it see's one of it's lab family going to the bathroom it runs over there and does it. I have tried yelling, stomping my feet to no end. I have walked her on a leash too. She still seems to find that ONE PILE I missed. Could it be her food?> It has formed into a very bad habit.

Re: Re: Re: POOP EATERS

I have the same issue, and picking up in a restricted airing yard is the only thing I have found that works.

With that said, I wonder if anyone has tried using an electronic collar to "no" them off? I use a collar for field training and thought of that the other day when I was out chasing them around with the scoop.

MK