Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Limited vs Full Registration

What is my best option. I have a nice showy male.
Not quite 8 wks. I have a nice guy who is interested in this pup mainly for companion and possibly hunting. I don't have enough room to keep 3 pups. He's the 3rd pick,I haven't asked this guy if showing him would be an option for me. He isn't into breeding but not interested in him being neutered.

I rarely sell my show dogs. Would it be better for me to sell this pup on a limited reg with co-ownership
As the registration can be changed to full if ever.
For showing purposes.The pup wouldn't be ready to show till next year.
Or should I co-own with full Registration. I can still come off of there if he follows my co-ownership rules. I don't co-own forever, I only for 2 yrs once health clearances have been done.

Re: Limited vs Full Registration

LIMITED !!!! Third pick puppy rarely will be a show stopper, and males must be show stoppers. Further more, pet homes should be of the opinion that spay/neuter is their only option. Who's in charge here ?

ok the puppy is right up there for pick # 1 its a real toss up.

Limited. You can always change it if he wants to jump through your hoops (clearances...etc.). That is your safest bet. I must ask, why he doesn't want to neuter the dog. I usually tell men (it's always men) who don't want to neuter their dog, that neutering the dog does not lower the testosterone levels in its owner. :-)

Dian

LTD....chg it later. Remember, you only need only siggy to sign a litter registration if you own the male...

Most hunters don't want to spay neuter. Which I have Never found dog/bitches to loose interest in hunting if they are fixed.One of those myth's. They either have the instinct and the drive or they don't.

Supposely the dogs regardless of the breed. Don't have the drive when fixed.

Re: Re: Limited vs Full Registration

"Most hunters don't want to spay/neuter."

This is a huge generalization. Most of my dogs go into hunting homes on limited and are neutered. A friend I train with who is an avid hunter has two neutered males he runs in HTs and hunts pheasant, duck and goose with.

If there is any generalization to be made, it might be that men have a problem with neutering male dogs!
Ha! The wives usually talk them into it.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Limited vs Full Registration

Limited would be a good choice. If the dog turns out well and gets his clearances at 2 years of age, you could then change the registration to Full with yourself as a co-owner.

I actually like leaving the boys intact. You never know. If the owner is a responsible person, why not? You just might want to use this dog in the future.

I sell on limited and I have them wait until 18 to 2 year to spay/neuter.

I have a clause in my contract that states, if the dog/bitch passes all clearence and I find her/him worthy of breeding AND they have put some kind of title on the dog ( obedience, agility, or field).I will release the Limited status. Then depending on the owner and the bitch or stud dog I might then do a co-own thru the first breeding.

This has worked for me. It makes them happy and weeds out those that think breeding is a fast buck. By doing ALL clearence and showing in some kind of event they learn that it is not just about breeding two dogs together. I have yet to change the dogs status but I do have one that I am hoping pans out but if he does not he his in a great pet home that loves him dearly.

Good Luck

Like I said I can't even remember when I sold a show prospect.We keep them for ourselves. I'm keeping my 1st pick. And possibly keeping the other brother for a few months see how he turns out.All 3 of these boys are very nice.Hard decision

I like the idea of title to.But I think I will Co-own like I would normally do till 2 yrs and go from there.With a co own Thanks for your ideas.

Limited, and on a spay/neuter contract. If he doesn't want that, he isn't the buyer for me. I don't want a dog of my breeding to be the father of any kind of oops, designer mutt or backyard bred litter.

"I usually tell men (it's always men) who don't want to neuter their dog, that neutering the dog does not lower the testosterone levels in its owner. :-)"

Love it!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Limited vs Full Registration

Plus, the health benefits with leaving him intact longer are far better than neutering b4 maturity!

Well actually I have had women to .

What does your spay neuter contract say.That prevents them from having a opps breeding.

I would do Limited for sure. You can change at any time and co own.

Re: Re: Re: Limited vs Full Registration

I would do a limited registration, it can always be changed later, as for the nuetering I just can't see why so many breeders insist on nuetering the dogs, I encourage my puppy buyers NOT to nueter as I think it can cause more health problems than leaving the dog intact. Most pet people don't want to breed the dog anyway so it's not a problem. JMHO
Aloha,
Jackie

Too lazy to check...If this poster does a co-own and the dog has a limited registration, can the co-owner breeder still show the dog?

Too lazy to check but not too lazy to post

Here's your answer:

http://www.akc.org/reg/limitedreg.cfm

Rarely do labs, boys or girls, that are placed in a pet home

I think RJS was just offering up off the cuff thoughts and letting the interested party do the looking up, why come down so hard?
I guess its easy to be mean when you don't sign your name. I wonder if people would be so "in your face" if they knew who some of the people were who they were being so confrontational with. I have been surprised a few times when I have received personal mail from someone I was in a discussion with who was anon on the board only to find it was a judge or someone I really admired. This forum has enough trouble with people being unkind to eachother, without nastiness for no other reason than to be witty.
Its the reason newer people like myself often feel uncomfortable posting our questions and thoughts.
Annie

Hey - I didn't call him or her lazy - that was a self-imposed title.

Anyway, the link is there, and the answer to his question is no.

Limited means you can't show the dog in conformation, and the progeny can't be AKC registered. Everything else is fair game. You can do all the AKC performance and obedience stuff, and it doesn't stop you from breeding your dog and making Labradoodles, Labs without papers, or mutts, or whatever you want.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Limited vs Full Registration

"I just can't see why so many breeders insist on nuetering the dogs, I encourage my puppy buyers NOT to nueter as I think it can cause more health problems than leaving the dog intact. Most pet people don't want to breed the dog anyway so it's not a problem."

"just me"...I think so. Good for you Jackie!