Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A human question.

I Have bad knees And it does hurt running around the ring. But I do it for the enjoyment.
I walked past an vendor selling Arch supports the other day at a show.And I heard her groan.......
I asked if that was for my bennifet. haha

So do any of you exhibitors have a bad back or knees
And you use Arch supports have they helped you.?

The custom made ones.?

I know there expensive. But cheaper then sugery
I'm doomed at some point for 2 new knees.

Hope you can help.

Re: A human question.

Ever heard of magnetic shoe inserts?

go to www.nikken.com

I have used their products for myself and my dogs. Never whelp a litter without their magnetic "magboys" and "magflex".

If you are interested email me and I will put you in touch with a fellow Lab person who is a Nikken rep.

Well I have done those before and didn't see where they had helped. And I used them for about 6 mos.
I would like to see results in a shorter amount of time. Anyone use good feet arch supports or another company that can refer.

Re: Re: A human question.

How bad are your knees? The surgery(total knee replacement) might be the best bet...just get it over with and you'll be feeling good in no time. My mom just had her's done after suffering with arthroscopic surgery, cortisone injections, etc. that did little help and actually made it worse. She's doing great at 3 months post op. She's 74 by the way. Get a good surgeon with references and physical therapy for a few weeks.

Diane - I can sympathize with you. I have bad knees - it's hereditary in my family and I was so lucky to inherit it from my dad. My family is an orthopedic mess!!! 3 knee surgeries so far and I've already needed another 1 for a couple years, but I don't have the time to deal with the recovery right now.

Anyway, I also have falling arches and used arch supports for that purpose. I have a custom made pair and also a pair of Phase 4 Orthotics (you can purchase them on the Internet). My activities would dictate which pair I'd use daily until 2 months ago when I no longer felt that I needed them.

I started seeing a chiropractor (he's young and very new age in his practice) for some trouble with my neck and since then I have not had to use my arch supports nor have I had to take my acid reflux medication which is supposed to be a daily dose.

Getting my spine aligned has allowed my body to heal elsewhere. The pain in my knees has disipated, my legs are no longer as uneven as they were (there was over 1" difference in length), I haven't had a bursitis flare up in my hips, I have more energy and I feel better overall than I have in years.

I realize this may not have been the reply you were looking for, but I thought I'd share my experience. Maybe it can help. If nothing else I don't see how the arch supports could hurt if you wanted to try them. The Phase 4's are inexpensive compared to custom made supports.

Good luck!!!

Aloha,
Kim

Thanks Kim. I know bout the surgery.
Not heritary in my family. To much getting bucked off by horses.My dad liked horses trained the old way.
Get on and buck them out at 14 yrs old. getting kicked by cows and horses. The only time they didn't hurt is when I used to drive trucks over the road.
I would like to wait till I'm in my 50's before I have to get surgery. I do use a nice chiropractor. He has helped my neck.
The reflux is a digestion problem. Try taking enzymes for that.And I get weekly massages.
which has helped tremdeously

I also have a knee problem that has been going on for years. I have had the injections and arthroscopy, which helped for a while. I finally bit the bullet and had a replacement 7 weeks ago. It took a while, but I'm doing things I haven't been able to do in years. I told my therapist I expect to be showing dogs by mid-October and he said that doesn't sound unrealistic. It was well worth it.

FYI, I'm not much younger than El's mother. I talked to her just before surgery and she took the fear out of it.

If you can, get your knee(s) done.

I also have bad knees for lots of reasons! Started when I was 12. Was just told last week that the arthritis in one knee is to the point of considering surgery. There is a PARTIAL knee replacement that can be done if the damage isn't too severe.

X-rays next week to see what my options are.

I have custom orthotics that help with other problems (plantar facitis (spelling?), neuroma).

MK

Knees? What are knees? I haven't really had knees since I was 12 and I shattered the left knee. I had reconstructive surgery when I was 15, after my growth plates closed. The right one is shot after a bad ligament surgery and that one is bone on bone whenever I take a step.

My ortho doc would like to do a total knee replacement on the right knee but I'm too young (don't get told that very often). He'd like me to be about 60 before he does it so I have a little ways to go.

I have a permanently broken bone in my left foot. I've torn the tendon in my right foot. Surgery repaired the tendon

I do use arch supports but its mostly for my plantar fasciitis, which has helped a lot.

I have given up on stylish shoes. I wear Shoes For Crews when I show my dogs and it really does help. I've had to give up agility with my dogs since I can't run fast enough to make AKC time. :(

I would definately explore the partial knee replacement procedures. They also have what looks like a shim that can be implanted if the bone wear is not too bad so it is really to your advantage to at least have your situation evaluated early to discuss the options.

E-mail me privately if you would like more information.

Johanne

PS Not only do I work for an orthopedic implant company, but I also had both knees replaced last year so I consider myself somewhat in the know on this topic!

I was lucky because I had a connection, also. I sold a pup to a man that sells knees and hips and he fixed me up with a great doctor.

Laura -- I looked at the Shoes for Crews website and they have some really nice stuff. May have to try some out!

Johanne

Re: Re: Re: A human question.

WOW! I didn't know there were so many of us with bad knees!! Glad to know I am not the only one who has crashed through life and screwed up some body parts (knees are only half the story!).

This has been helpful for me--thanks to the person who started the thread.

MK

I heard there is more of chance with infections in the partials then the full replacements. And I have met a few women who had serious trouble with the partials so ask your surgeon on that. I would require kneecaps as well. which are not included in the knee joint. One of those xtra components??? Even met one lady she went in for both knees at the same time.And neither fit. That would be the uglies.
yep my surgeon told me he would of liked me to be 60 but my knees won't wait that long. So I',m waiting as long as i can. Thank god for ice and heat packs.

Thank god for ice and heat packs

Let's not forget pain meds.

I was on Celebrex for awhile and it really helped me but I have heart problems in my family and no doctor feels comfortable with me on Celebrex. Bummer because it really worked. Advil just isn't the same.

Most of the time I took 1 Aleve and 2 Tylenol in the AM and PM, but for dog shows, I took Arthrotec twice a day for a few days and they work great. I call them my dog show pills.
My therapist gave me a recipe for a a wonderful ice pack, which is 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 2/3 water, and freeze it. It feels so good and molds well to those sore knees.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A human question.

Thanks for the tip.

WEll your welcome for me posting this. Actually I wanted to post at some point for knee surgery.But this has worked out well for the arch supports.!!!
The only time I have to take anything for pain is 2 advil 1 hour before I go in the ring. In case I win my class and have to go in again!!!

Or the judge who thinks everyone is healthy and makes you run like a gazelle in the ring. Faster Faster.That is when I would like to tie the judge on a leash and drag behind me as well.
If i have to run baby you are going to go faster and faster with me. I like those judges who say slow this is not a race... A good judge in my book.

I don't live on pain medication or use even a light dose daily only when I show.

Sometimes knee pain can be lessened at the foot level. Often times a good arch support and a wedge( if dealing with medial or lateral joint disease.. ie osteoarthritis) can help lessen poor mechanics at the ankle and especially the knee. Check your shoes, are they worn more on the inside or outside of the sole? Find someone whether it be a knowledgable shoe retailer that can help you with off the shelf versions. I personally like superfeet. Or you could get a referral to a skilled orthotics maker. Many times these things can be helped at the ground level. Good luck... I hope this was helpful!

And Super feet is?

Superfeet are off the shelf inserts. http://www.superfeet.com/

A doctor friend told me the super feet insert has been proven to be just as effective as any custom made orthotic (which I have).He said I could get them at the hiking store. The best thing that ever helped my knees was taking off the weight and using the knee lift machine at the gym. Squats also help- if you build up your quads, it supports the knee better.Seems the real culprit is not the arthritis, but the fact that the ligaments and tendons wrapping the knee loosen and stretch with age. The knee lift machine gets back some of the elasticity. After a few months, my knee quit hurting all the time. I can do Potomac with only Advil on Friday!

Hi Diane-

I too am the proud owner of two bad knees. I've read a lot of the posts and see that many are suggesting surgery. Mine are from very poor mechanics and years and years of being athletic and running.

My last incident was several years ago when I had a minor tear of my MCL but tore also my meniscus at the rear of my knee. Tore it pretty good. Went to my GP who wanted to refer to an orthopedic surgeon. Almost assuredly surgery would have been recommended (that's why they are called surgeons). Instead we decided on a course of strenuous (but not painful) rehab. Pretty intense. If I had the surgery, I would have to go through rehab anyway and he stated that if I did the rehab first, it would be much better and easier after the surgery.

I can no longer run (used to be about 15-20 miles a week) but I can still play racquetball. Go figure. I take daily doses of glucosamine/chondritin and fish oil. I can still jog for short distances...no problem.

But I've read your posts several times and nowhere did you mention that you have had your situation completely diagnosed by trained medical personnel. It would seem to me that this would be your first order of priority. Once you figure out what is wrong, you can then take steps to fix it. I wouldn't follow what I did without getting a well-versed, non-surgically committed professional to give you a full evaluation. In my case, all of this was done after an extensive MRI.

I wish you well.

BTW, from what you are describing, your situation is far, far better than mine. Many times pain in the knee is caused by imbalances in the muscle structure, that is, one set of muscles may be far weaker than the other set. In some cases, by simply strengthening the muscles, the stronger muscles can take the stress off the knee.

But seeking good (no, excellent) medical advice would be a good first step.

Well I was dianosed at 13 yrs old by a ortho that if i didn't stop riding horses 12 hrs a day wknds and 4 hrs after school I would be in a wheel chair at 16 well that hasn't happened I continued to ride till in to my 30's Trained race horses for 10 yrs
Showed horses. Worked around cattle until 5 yrs ago.

I have not gone to a ortho Dr. I would like to.
I did go to my GP and got xrays. I was in the moderate stage no cartiledge between the bones. so i'm bone to bone Now. I never could do the knee machine nor squats my knee joint pops and probably have worse problem with my knee caps. I then was referred to a surgeon.

I know I have made that mistake once before so I'm not a person who rushes to the knife again.I don't take any pain reliever one when i show. I do take cod liver oil caps. And will have to say that has truely helped alot .
But when I did buy better sneakers. My knees don't hurt as much . So I do feel starting with the foot helps relieve the pain. I saw the Ortho surgeon Dec 06

Rich

You are right about having good muscle tone before surgery. It makes a huge difference to how fast you get back on your feet. Keeping your feet happy also makes a difference. I have terrible feet and finally found the Merrill shoes are the best for me. They are a bit pricey but worth it.

I didn't have a lot of pain before surgery, just swelling which made it difficult to walk.

Hey Gail, Good to hear you'll be on the road again soon. My mom said she doesn't even think about her new knee anymore. By the way, her first doc. wanted to do a "partial" knee replacement and her surgeon said, "No". "You'll be back in no time for a total". So glad she opted for the total. See you at Wine C. just to watch?

Diane-

This is what I did but you really need to see a good orthopod who may perhaps hook you up with a good physical therapist. Your situation may be different from mine because you stated you have no cartilage. Mine was severely torn.

When I started physical therapy. I could only do a one-legged press on the machine with 10-15 pounds. The therapist built my leg up with about 15 different exercises, electrical shock (Lots of fun!!!! Only kidding) and ice. After about 5 months I was doing leg presses with one-leg with 130 pounds. Also, because mine was an inflammatory injury, I was advised to take Advil to reduce the inflammation. It helped a great deal...but then again, your situation may be different. I wish you the best on any road you take. If you're persistent and consistent, I think that you'll do well.

Gail-

My wife just bought a pair of Merrill's using the same argument as you. I didn't believe her then but I guess that I will have to believe her now! BTW, she has been happy ever since she bought them...always good for a lady to have happy feet...

Here I am - another person with "years of heavy use" knees. I was a skier for 25 years.... My orhopedist years ago took the knee model that he had in his office and hammered it on the table repeatedly and said to me, "This is what your knee has been dealing with." I liked that analogy!! And then the years of having LABRADORS run into the front of my knees..... Ok, Ok. I'm not into the knee replacement yet - although maybe I'll have to change my tune in years to come but what I found that helped me exponentially was going to a very good podiatrist and getting custom orthotics. And using them in Brooks "Ariel" athletic shoes (yes I have flat feet and planar faceitis sp) But after being lazy and wearing flip flops most of the summer my knees and back started to really bother me.... so lately I've been wearing my inserts and Brooks and feeling much better.
I do know that if your feet are stable and supported properly your knees and hips and back are much better aligned and therefore more pain free.So yes, have your knees looked at by a vewry good ortho Dr. and also see a very good podiatrist. Best of luck!!

Thanks I will do that. I had to laugh at the knee model, My Dr. basically said the same thing.But you did bring up some other symptoms I am getting. I do believe I will think about my feet right now.
Its all connected the lower back can affect the knees and hips.I have lost 29lbs so that has helped. And with the litter losing the gut,That is Plus.

Having litters can be good for weight control or loss.!!!

I have thought about purchasing some Merrills. We have posted bout shoes before.
Thanks for all the replys sure has helped and hope it helped others as well.