Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding input

Just wondering what the NORM it about your breeding practice. Do most of you breed for Head? Structure or temperment first. I have a bitch that is not quite two yet. She has awesome structure, lots of bone, front, good set shoulders and to die for temperment. She is a bit on the big size for a female and could inprove on her head. Who would you use????? TIA

Re: Breeding input

First you should wait for the final clearances on her and then find a male that is sound, with correct structure and a better head than her, temperment goes without saying. Also you need to find a dog with a pedigree that works with your girl. You need to breed for the total picture not just parts so all things should be important.
Aloha,
jackie

I try to find the best stud possible that is known for throwing what I need in my girl. Doesn't matter if he looks right, it matters if he's prepotent in it. I'm also not hesitant to pick the brains of other breeders - but not on the forum. It's way too generic.

I would pick a boy that comes dowm from a strong bitch line that has traits you want in your girl. Talk to the breeders of these bitch lines and they could help if you showed them your girl at a show perhaps? Take your time and remember it's not a science and it may not work the way you want it to anyway. That's what keeps me in it, the HOPE that it will work

Attn: "researcher"

Would you explain what you mean by "strong bitch line"...please excuse my ignorance-trying to educate myself.

A strong bitch line is one that has very nice bitches on the bottom of the pedigree. A strong (good) bitch line would have consistently good bitches through the generations. Look at the dam of the stud dog in question, then follow her mom, then grandma, then greatgrandma, etc... If you see nice, typey, beautiful bitches that resemble one another, you have a strong bitch line. A stong bitch line can be more prepotent than a very nice stud dog. I have been told that it is more, or just as important to have a good strong bitch line than an awesome dog line. I looked carefully before I bought my foundation girl, I Love her bitch line.

That is right on and it is a beautiful thing. I have seen it work in my own litters and to have a foundation bitch from a strong bitch line is a gift

Sometimes the bitch just has some "strong" genetics herself. I have a girl that I just absolutely love!! I had things I wanted to improve upon a little. We bred her two different times to two different studs that I thought "had it all" and seem to have a strong line. Well...not strong enough for my girl!!!

I recently recieved a puppy back from her that is almost 2 years old. I've seen her pups, but never had the honor of spending time with one on a full time basis. It was her all over again at 2 years old!!
Same exact type, same characteritics, same temperament, and even the same manerisms like how her tongue hangs out when she's retrieving, down to how she "hikes" herself the ball and then runs after it even when you've thrown it a thousand times It is quite amazing to me.

Exact replica's, all of them from what my puppy families have said. Sometimes a strong bitch line is what it is, good or bad.

Re: strong B*tch line

To the last 3 posters...Thxs for your input regarding the significance of a strong b*tch line...I think I'm beginning to understand!