Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MSM Safe for Pregnant dams ??

Is MSM in Glucosomine/Chondroitin safe to give to pregnant dams ? I have always given my pregnant girls the regular Glucosomine/Chondroitin but not with the MSM added.

Any vets have any knowledge on this matter ? Thanks !

Re: MSM Safe for Pregnant dams ??

MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) is a compound normally found in foods. It contributes sulfur, which helps with the strength of collagen in the joints.

I would check with your vet. I have read that pregnant women, nursing women or women with children 2 and under should consult their physician before taking MSM

It has been all over the news that that stuff is worthless anyway. Why give it?

Because my board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeon specifically told me to give it not only as a follow-on to bilateral FCP surgery, but to all of my dogs because of its documented benefits. He gave me a copy of a research study from the Washington State University School of Pharmacy as one source of documentation, and offered more if I needed it. I also corresponded with a nearby vetmed university who confirmed his advice. They said give it unless contra-indicated.

What "new" has this been all over that is from a more reliable source?

I have heard many, many times on the news in the past 3 weeks that that stuff is worthless. How the heck does it get just to the joint?? Also had OCD of the hocks operated on by Dr Hutch's clinic and they said give it if it makes you feel better but it won't do any good. Have you seen a big improvement--if so good for you :-)
Might try a google search on this,

My Vet told me that studies have not been done to test the effects of glucosomine on pregnant bitches.....so do not use it !!! Why take the risk ???