Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standing Pretty

Hey everyone... I am looking for tips on how to teach my boy to stand. He is five months old, and soon when we are ready we hope to be attending our first dog show together. We have started, but I'm not sure I'm doing it in a way to get the best results.

Re: Standing Pretty

Hi Shannan,
My trainer taught me to start the dog from a sitting position and then hold a treat in front of their and move it away from them. They will stand trying to get the treat and tell them the term stand and praise them everytime they do it. Once standing trainer said to put your heel, toe up, under the dog's lower abdoman so that if they sit they will hit your foot and stand back up. It has worked for me numerous times in the past. Give it a try!
-Elizabeth

Re: Standing Pretty

Hi Shannen
I have found that some labradors will stack themselves or stand pretty and some simply will not.
If your dog is the kind that will not so you have to place his feet where you want them I recommend show handling classes.
If you have trouble finding one contact your local all-breed kennel club. They are not usually expensive and quite fun.

Re: Re: Standing Pretty

I heard someone say that some of the top people were recommending not putting their hands on a dog until they are older because making them stack sometimes dampens their attitude and I can attest that is surely the case with my first show bitch (I am learning!!). She's happy go lucky until I move her feet into the right position (even with handling classes) and then she gets this beaten look about her.

Someone also mentioned feeding them by hand while they are standing.