Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
coat enhancer

Does anyoone use anything to help bring in a lot of coat? Has anyone heard or used Show Stopper? TIA

Re: coat enhancer

on the recommendation from several people from this forum, i started show stoppers about 2 months ago, and have very pleased with it,,we now live in a warm climate,,had weeks of 100 % temps,,and my gang all held their coats,,also helped with flaky skin from swimming alot..just watch the weight gain,,it does put on weight,,so you may have to cut back on the food amount after usuing it for a while.

Re: Re: coat enhancer

where can you get show stopper from?

I live in the Caribbean and been using Show Stoper for the last two month abd is been great.Still whit great coat,I really recomended

I've totally stopped supplements and now only feed high protein food and have wonderful coats. Makes sense, because coat is built from protein, and when a dog is malnourished, the first thing to go is the coat.

Need Input if you email me I can give you my dealers name.
I have used it for 2 yrs on my chocolates. I used to have picky eaters They only eat when SS is on there food. I normally go off it when my dogs blowing coat and it's coat is dry.But as soon as they stop I put them on SS and get coats back fast soft very shiny and thick and dark coats.They blow quick when they are on it and get the coat back on quick I love it.
My dealer also sells some wonderful shampoos to.

I used SS then went to a very high protein food with no grain and the coats were even better than on SS. For what it's worth.
A

The name of the food you are feeding

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I used SS then went to a very high protein food with no grain and the coats were even better than on SS. For what it's worth.
A

please tell us the protein/fat ratios of the food"s" you folks are using

I am very curious about high protein foods. But, I am most interested to know which foods use meat to get the high protein as opposed to gluten or other plant proteins. I have heard that Pinnacle has come out with a high Protein/high fat food that actually uses meat. Has anyone used it or other brands that do not use grain by-products to get the high protein???

"Actually uses meat" as in NOT meat meal? You HAVE heard that meat meal is better because it allows there to be a higher percentage of protein from meat than if you just use a food with straight meat. Because once the meat is cooked the moisture content is removed and could be less percentage in the food than the other ingredients...

I have actually seen ShowStopper in my local Petco. Imagine that.

I would be worried about a product that made the coats come back "Soft" A labrador is supposed to have a hard coat not a soft one.
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Need Input if you email me I can give you my dealers name.
I have used it for 2 yrs on my chocolates. I used to have picky eaters They only eat when SS is on there food. I normally go off it when my dogs blowing coat and it's coat is dry.But as soon as they stop I put them on SS and get coats back fast soft very shiny and thick and dark coats.They blow quick when they are on it and get the coat back on quick I love it.
My dealer also sells some wonderful shampoos to.

Re: food

I feed Orijen Adult and it is 42% protein and 16% fat

My bitch had a not-great coat.

I've started her on EVO and she gets 2tsp of very high quality salmon oil a day. Now she looks great; her coat quantity is better and her coat quality is amazing - thick, lustrous, dense. No dandruff, no dull ashy look.

Re: Re: Re: coat enhancer

Interesting read on meat v meat meal:

http://www.wysong.net/controversies/fresh_meats_vs.shtml

I used the word meat generically to mean meat or meat meal. I understand that meat meal may be better than straight meat for reasons beyond the protein and fat content.

The distinction I am making is between plant protein and meat protein I guess. And maybe it doesn't matter as long as the amino acid balance is correct. However, it just intuitively seems to me that more meat in a food may be better than processed plant products. So I am wondering if there are good high protein foods that actually use more meat (or meat meal)???

Let me re phrase the soft coat. He has a hard coat.
Meaning when mine blow the coats are very very dry.
As we have a very dry climate. So it comes back better term shiny and supple.
My dogs can get to wacky on High protein higher then 28% So the 28% /18 works the best for my herd.

I'm using Timberwolf Organics, Wild & Natural which is 36%/18%. It has a high kcal/cup content. I've also used their Lamb, Chicken and Fish formulas.
I agree with Nancy.....using a food with a high level of good source protein gives the best coats. I've used different coat supplements in the past and always ended up with soft coats. I'd like to try Orijen but can't find a distributor in my area.

Diane, wondering why or what you mean by your dogs get wacky on higher protein than 28%?

I am feeding Natures Variety Instinct chicken formula - gain free since May and my dogs do great on it. 42% protein and 22% fat and they are no wackier than before. The old food was 26% / 15%

Wondering if you mean energy levels? Dogs draw energy from fat not protein.

I too would be interested in hearing from others who feed hi-protein and grainless to see what they are using and their results.

I was going to use Barking at the Moon by Solid Gold but no one seems to carry it. Am concerned about getting old bags that might be rancid because they are not moving.

I've decided to go with EVO Red Meat but would be extremely interested in hearing from those who use Solid Gold, Orijen, Timberwolf or EVO. I understand that these foods are protein-rich and have been cautioned to make a slow transition to avoid possible loose stools.

Thanks in Advance....