Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ectropian

Can anyone tell me what ectropian looks like? Do the lower lids flip out or would it just look like droopy lids away from the eyeball?

Re: Ectropian

i thought it was when they drooped inwards, and entropian droops out......
check out this awesome link:

http://surrylabradors.blogspot.com/2007/08/ectropion-versus-entropion.html

Droopy lids that aren't in close association with the globe (eyeball). Entropion is where the lids turn in and hair is against the eye. Do bear in mind....some young puppies have droopy lids that eventually fit the eye normally.

Re: Re: Ectropian

Ectropian is worse than entropian is what I have been informed of and is seen in a lot of very well bred lines here and there.

Can you CERF a dog with Ecotropian or Entropian or do they fail ? Is it considered genetic or congenital would be my question?

Should it be corrected by surgery?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Droopy lids that aren't in close association with the globe (eyeball). Entropion is where the lids turn in and hair is against the eye. Do bear in mind....some young puppies have droopy lids that eventually fit the eye normally.

It's the other way around - ENtropian is worse that ECtropian. EN = rolling IN, EC = rolling OUT. The eyelids rolling in, with entropian, is worse as it irritates the eye by rubbing the lashes against the eyeball. Surgery usually must be done to correct if it's still present in an adult.

You are going to have to tell me why ectropian it worse. That does not make any sense to me.

IMHO, Ectropian is just as bad if you have dogs that actually do field work and tracking. You'd be amazed at how much of a problem it is as lots of things get held up in the eyelid. Grass seed is a big problem and dust. I always have a tube of antibiotic with me and eyeflush for one of my dogs. Ectropian is a very real problem too.

Eyelids need to be tight on a working dog.

Sue

Responding to: Why is Ectropian bad? (posters comment was 'worse")

I didn't say it is worse, but it can be just as bad.

Eye infections caused by debris getting caught in the eyelid, scratched corneas and the like. It can be just as painful as ECtropian.

Sue

Re: Re: Re: Ectropian

Both will CERF (breeder option). The CERF book from the American College of Veterinary Opthalmologists lists it as inheritance "not defined."

Entropian rubs against the corneas, leaving scars and lesions on the cornea which would eventually interfere with vision for the dog.

Ectropian- sure you get dirt and debris in the eye that you can flush- can still scratch the cornea but nowhere near the damage - in the entropian : the constant rubbing against the cornea -think about it- would do more damage.

They are both breeders option with CERF.