Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st day of heat

what do you count as the first day of heat?...do you count the first day of show or do you count from the first day of swelling?...thank you

Re: 1st day of heat

Fist day of bleeding is the first day of season. Sometimes this is hard to detect on really clean girls, so I Q-tip mine each day when I know they're close to coming in, so I don't miss them by a day or two.

Re: 1st day of heat

I am glad I am not the only one who does that. My husband thought I was crazy went I took a Q-tip her last time.

Re: Re: 1st day of heat

I had been checking her with a tissue because she has been a bit moody :) she is swollen but I don't see any blood yet..never thought of a Qtip...Thank you

Re: Re: Re: 1st day of heat

If ya put a white blanket or sheet where she sleeps at night, that can help you detect first day of heat.

I always keep a tissue box handy so I can do a quick swipe but usually, I find the first blood drops on their white bedding in the morning or on the floor as they are leaving the house to go potty.

If there is any question in my mind as to the first day of spotting, I take my girls in a couple days early to be progesterone tested.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st day of heat

Also remember some girls go into silent heats and they will swell but not bleed.