Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seepy Hot spot

I have a boy here who has a large seeping hot spot that won't heal due to him digging at his sore on his neck. I shaved it, cleaned it up but as soon as it scabs over, it gets to itching him so he kicks it with his hind leg. I've tried putting a thick sock on him and taping it on but he chews it off. I've tried the plastic cone but the cone doesn't cover the sore on his lower neck/shoulder blade area. I've been giving him prednisone and still the inflammation won't go down while he is digging at himself.

I thought I read or heard that there is an herbal tea that one can make up and use as a warm pack to lay on the hot spot. The tea helps bring the inflammation down and takes away that itch. Any naturalist out there that can recommend a tea I can buy in the form of a bag at the grocery store ?

Thanks so much in advance

Re: Seepy Hot spot

when a hot spot gets big and weepy it usually involves an infection so giving pred without antibiotics is opening the dog up to further infection and often the hot spot will just continue to get bigger and bigger. Go to the vet and get some Cephalexin, works great and fast.

Re: Re: Seepy Hot spot

How about some Amoxicillan ? I have a bottle of that on hand, thought I prefer Clavamox for skin infections. I'm dog sitting this dog for a couple weeks and trying to take the natural approach if at all possible. I can't believe the prednisone isn't working like it does on my own dogs when they get the occassional hot spot.

I'm not new to hot spots in Labradors and I almost always get them cleared up without antibiotics if the dog would just not dig and dig when it goes throught the scabbing over stage.

Gentocin spray will help with the itching. Or keeping a bootie on him might help. Give him a big hollow bone with some frozen cheese or p-nut butter to keep his mind off of the sore.

Re: Re: Re: Seepy Hot spot

There is a Hotspot formula made by Homeopet that works great. Check out a natural health food store in your area. They run about $12 a bottle.
http://www.homeopet.com/hotspots.htm

Techi-Care Surgical Scrub.

99.99% Bacterial Reduction in 30 second contact usage. It really works great for hot spots, allergy break outs and cuts. It is the best thing I have found to turn things around quickly. You can follow up with other topicals like Gentocin or whatever, but the Techni-Care kills the bacteria, so it really helps stops the spreading. My vet recommended it.

To keep your boy from scratching you could get an old turtleneck shirt, cut the sleeves off and keep it on him when your not watching him. Of course its always best to let the air get at the hot spot to help dry it out but you might try the turtle neck for a few days just to get a jump start on the healing process. Most of the Vets where I work use Cephalexin or Simplicef for a skin infection. They find these two antibiotics work best for skin issues. There is a very good spray called Genesis Spray that really stops the itch quickly. It has a steroid in it so I wouldn't use it on a pregnant or nursing bitch should you ever encounter a hot spot on one of the girls. Talk to your Vet about what his/her recommendation is. Good luck with your itchy boy!

Hi Shadowmyst !! Where can I order this Techi Care Surgical Scrub ? Is that the same stuff as Iodine scrub they use before surgery ? I have that stuff but my vet told me not to use it on hot spots. I use peroxide to clean it up initially and if they have been outside and got it dirty.

Over the years, I have tried just about everything topical, including Prednef, the sprays with cortisone. The only really effective treatment is to go to the vet and get a cortisone shot and a round of pred once the cortisone wears off. It's the cortisone that really gives the hot spot a kick start on bringing the inflammation down.

I have Amoxi at the house so I started him on that last night. I read that Amoxi is ok for skin infections but a few of my vets favor Clavomox for skin infections. I don't think this boy's sore has turned to staff yet but it looks grusome after he has kicked himself bloody.

I'll try the tee/sweat shirt idea to since it is a cool day out today. Thanks for all your ideas folks !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seepy Hot spot

I should also mention that many hot spots can get cleared up WITHOUT the use of cortisone but the ones I am referring to are the real bad hot spots that spread and spread with so much inflammation involved.

Couple of suggestions for the itching

vit. E oil - will quicken the healing as well

Vit. C makes the adrenal gland produce natural steroids which helps with inflammation

I have found that witch hazel works great on itchy mosquito bites. when the wound is not open (when it has a good scab on it) the witch hazel may help. would burn an open sore though. I put it in a spary bottle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seepy Hot spot

I did a google search for the Techni-Care and a bunch of places showed up so I am pretty sure you can order it online. It's not very expensive either. I am telling you, everyone should have this in their kennel! It is THAT good for a number of things. I just treated a hot spot that was just starting with this and it stopped it that day. I'll never be without it again.

You're probably not going to believe this, but trust me on this - it works.

Once you do all of the shampooing and whatever else to clean it up, you still want it to be dry. The answer: Maalox, applied just thick enough to completely cover the hotspot. You'll then have to hold him, pet him or anything else you can think of to get the time needed for the Maalox to dry, but when it does it takes care of the problem. You should not have to do this more than twice, 12-24 hours apart. Good luck!

Sometimes it's the silliest things that work in the end !! I'll give it a try !! Thanks Greg and everyone else for your great ideas

Now I've never tried this...but...

...if I recall correctly, Pat Hastings' advice was to apply antibiotic ointment to the hot spot, crush an aspirin and sprinkle it on, then cover with a pad and Vetwrap.

FWIW...

Hope he heals up soon!