Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How can you tell???

Is there a way to make sure that puppies you have sold on Lyd have really been registered with a Ltd status?
I always worry about people reading through the part with the code that you black out and then doing it online.
I just looked up a few numbers and none show up with an L on the end in the dog lookup on AKC!
How can you tell for sure???????

Re: How can you tell???

Register them yourself and then you will know it was done on limited. I actually have people write a check for AKC when they pick up their pup, fill out the papers with me (if not sure of the name they call/e-mail it to me and I fill it in) and then I send them all in together.

I'm not sure you can still do this, but I always wait to register my pups that I keep from a litter. When you go online, if there is still a pup that has not been registered, you can see the status of the others in the litter. I have found mistakes that the AKC has made in regards to Ltd. registration. I have had to contact AKC and they will look up the actual form and correct it if necessary. Go to the online dog registration for AKC and check it out.
https://www.akc.org/dogreg/index.cfm?useraction=puppy_reg_self

Re: Re: How can you tell???

I'm with you Deb, I too send all mine in for the people that way I know the dog got registered and they can't fool with the status.
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Register them yourself and then you will know it was done on limited. I actually have people write a check for AKC when they pick up their pup, fill out the papers with me (if not sure of the name they call/e-mail it to me and I fill it in) and then I send them all in together.

After having puppy registrations changed in various ways, everything from not including my kennel name to "fixing" the limited to un-limited I now name and register the whole litter and do owner transfers when a puppy is purchased.

I'm with Susan and Deb. For the limited registration I'll either name and do an owner transfer, or I'll take a check made out to the AKC and send it in myself.

Ok I think I will do that from now on...
Thanks everyone.

I have had to keep on people just to register their pups and it is aggravating.

Even had one person mistakenly use my kennel name twice in the dogs name. I have been after this person for months to change it. I would do it myself but AKC will not allow it.

Therefore, I now register the pups myself (owner chooses the name) and they pay for registration when picking up the pup.

Re: Re: Re: How can you tell???

Susan

I just had a question when you say you "name" the whole litter do you allow the families to pick their own names and then enter them on the AKC forms yourself or do you personally pick AKC names for the whole litter. I know I have always went to the AKC website and then "My AKC" where you can view and manage your dogs, breedings, litters etc. But this is a great idea and eliminates the question of any forms being manipulated.

I am assuming this would also help with the topic spoke about last week regarding getting burned on final payments and releasing AKC paperwork on the "Go Home" day.

And isn't it a pain when the new owner substitutes their own kennel name on the registration instead of the breeder's?

Register them yourself. I tell all my puppy people that I will send in the papers. They tell me what they want to name the dog (they're warned way beforehand that they have to have a registered name by the time they pick up the puppy), give me a check made out to AKC for the fee and then they sign the papers.

I send them all in together. It works twofold for me. No more lost papers and nobody can change the status.

In plain English it's written on the AKC application that it is totally the new owner's option as to what to name the dog. Period.
If you don't want that happening, you can't stop it unless you name to dog prior to sale.
if you want, you can also make your guarantee invalid unless your kennel name is used. However, not everyone cares about your guarantee they will still do what they want to.
The puppy lemon laws will still valid, even if your own personal guarantee isn't.

The bitch owner(s) is/are the owner(s) of the puppies. So, you can register the pups yourself and do a transfer, or as a condition of the sale, come up with a mutually agreed upon name.

To answer Jennifer and Nancy,
I explain to the families that a "kennel name" is different from a "call name." When they are purchasing a puppy, already named, I tell them that the call name is theirs to choose and as far as I am concerned as long as they are responsible owners and take care of their dog in the ways we all talk about, then they can call the puppy Bubba or BettyLou!! If they still don't get it, first of all I am not sure that I then want to sell to them, BUT I say remember how your Uncle is named Trey? Well his real name is Winfred Opus Alexander Forrest III, but everyone knows him as Trey and that is the same thing!
And yes, as far as payment goes it does help in the way that I still technically own the puppy. (Think car sale/transfer) But my policy is either they bring a cashiers check, cash or send a check that I can take to a local bank PRIOR to puppy pickup. Sad state of affairs, but even those of us who have a small number of available dogs/puppies have been burnt.
Sorry for the long winded answer.

Susan

I just had a question when you say you "name" the whole litter do you allow the families to pick their own names and then enter them on the AKC forms yourself or do you personally pick AKC names for the whole litter.

I am assuming this would also help with the topic spoke about last week regarding getting burned on final payments and releasing AKC paperwork on the "Go Home" day.

I take a razor and carefully cut out the number in the box and darken around what remains.

OOH! I like that!!

Here in Canada the breeder MUST register the puppy and must provide the buyers with reg'n certificate within 6 months of the transfer, because if a buyer complains that they never got their registration papers, we would be disciplined and chances are, our names would be published in the ckc publication, (Dogs in Canada) with the Board's meeting minutes, under the discipline committee's report.

A non breeding registration, similar to your Ltd, requires signatures from the buyer, that they agree to that. If the Breeder and buyer both agree (and sign) later, a cancellation of the non breeding registration can be submitted and then an open registration certificate will be issued.

As long as the dog has not placed in any AKC event, the new owner can change the name to anything they want. Simple form......one time only.

Can't change limited status though.

Please note that changing the name also requires the Litter Owner's Signature too!
"This application must be completed to effect a one-time name change of a dog whelped in the United States that the litter owner(s) has recorded in their own name with the AKC Foundation Stock Service®. However, no change in the name will be recorded by the AKC FSS® after the dog has produced or sired an AKC FSS® recorded litter or received an award at an AKC licensed or member event. Additionally, no change may be made to the dog’s recorded name unless the litter owner(s) of record has consented. Any change in name must comply with all AKC requirements. Only one change of name is permitted. All owners of the dog, as well as all litter owners must sign this form."
The quoted text is from the AKC Form.

Oh yes..I forgot litter owner must consent. Very important fact.