Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Naming your lab with a "famous" name

The post below about Drifter got me thinking. Would you ever name your lab with the same name as a famous dog? For instance, Arnold? Buzz? Receiver? Brodie? Travis? Baloo? Gordy? Etc. Etc.? It seems to me you would spend his entire career saying, No, not THAT one. Pet dogs are one thing, but if you have hopes for a young pup, why not make him unique?

Re: Naming your lab with a "famous" name

Sometimes you don't realize that you are naming your dog after someone famous. I've heard of a bunch of Travises, and some Buzzes and Baloos, a couple of Nikes and Brodies. If you are not familiar with pedigrees for whatever reason, maybe you just got a dog for a pet or for performance and you don't breed, it's not surprising to come up with something that happens to be the same call name as another more famous dog.

And sometimes the name just fits. LOL

Re: Re: Naming your lab with a "famous" name

Also if they're within 3-4 years of age of eachother, the "famous" one may have been a relative (or complete!) unknown when the other was named.

It's also not like Brodie, Nike, Buzz, or Travis are rare names in general to begin with. I've met a couple of them in other breeds or in pet homes.

Re: Naming your lab with a "famous" name

A call name is one thing - but I wouldn't use any part of a 'famous' dog's registered name in a registered name.

Re: Re: Naming your lab with a "famous" name

There are alot of the same names used over and over. We think we have something special and go look at the OFA site. Wow, been used alot. Famous or not who cares. We all know who Drifter is. And there are several, Brodys, Brodies, etc. Vinney, Vinnie,etc. Nike's, the name game is not easy. You would not use the name if you knew it was a famous dog maybe.
Lots of pet owners done know. I used to look back in pedigree for neat names. But no, would not name my new dog Ruffy. But wasn't that a great name ?