Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on Drifter...

I am happy to share good news with you.

Tuesday we visited him at the animal hospital, just to say goodnight, and hoping it wasn't our last, we stroked him, and talked to him in our familular voices. The vet told us, he was iporving a little, swallowing, and looking a bit better, although his panting kept u, and he was still in his 'coma'.
Anyways, with our familular voice and soft petting, he started 'coming to', he swallowed a few times, and actually tried to lift his head and look at us, we were thrilled to see our baby boy coming back after such a scare.

The vets came in the next morning, had him on an IV drip all night, and they found him surprizingly sitting up, wagging his tail, like nothing ever happend.
I had the privilege of getting to pick up my boy yesterday, he was so excited to see us, wagging his tail happily, and acting like his normal self, like nothing ever happend at all.
I had the vet do some blood work, he's running it right now, and we hope to have the results soon.
The vets there are still baffled at the idea, but hope they can pinpoint the cause. If they don't I will strongly consider going to either Loomis or UC Davis, as something this odd can't go unnoticed without a cause.

He is now safely home, acting like his normal self, he must have been in his coma for atleasr 12 hours.
We are so thrilled to have our boy safely hom, we hope it wil never happen again, and we hope find out the cause soon, but as for now, even though my bank account is now crying, we are all so happy he's home, well and very, very happy to be alive.

I'm happy to say, we had a happy ending. (By the way, for those of you who were wondering his reg name, it's Camelot's Sea Drifter CGC, affectionatly known as Drifter or Bubba.)

Re: Update on Drifter...

Camelot's Sea Drifter? Is Camelot your kennel name?

That is great news!! So happy your boy is home and on the mend.

Good news! I hope you can find out a cause.

Thanks for the Good News! Hugs to your boy Drifter

Wonderful news!

Hoping you can find the cause and if you do please update us.

Re: Re: Update on Drifter...

Thank you so much for all your prayers and good wishes, Drifter is as happy as ever (except for those shaved spots...No shows until next year..But atleast he's ok!) We thank you for all you did to get us through this hard time.
We will keep you updtead on how the bloodwork comes back as well. :) We really do hope to find a cause.
And for your question, no, Camelot is not my kennel name, I bought the boy from the kennel, but they have since changed thier name. :)

I'm so glad to hear that he is much better. Can't wait to hear what they think was wrong with him. I had a girl who started acting like she was drunk in the am, and by early afternoon was comatose. The vet thought it was anti-freeze poisoning,although she never had most of the symtoms. They gave her vodka, IV (yup - big ole bottle of vodka in the cupboard) and by the next day she was absolutely fine. We all (including the vet) thought she would be dead in the morning. All bloodwork came back fine. I still don't think it was Anitfreeze poisoning, but have no idea what else it could have been.

Wow, that sounds just like Drifters's case, but I hope this time the blood test will come back with something that we can link it too.
Also, Drifter was fine in the morning, it was less than in an hour he was found like that, cold out.
We checked around everywhere, but no sign of anything foreign, we once had a cat lick up some antifreeze, and was vomiting afterwards.
I would think Drifter would be doing the same, but I could be wrong....

Hillary, so glad to hear he came out of it okay. I actually had a dog do this once, although it only lasted a few minutes. One of my dogs was barking very insistently and when I went outside I saw Alex slump over and he was out cold. Caddie was barking to alert me. I got my roommate to help me drag him in the house and he was breathing deeply but unconscious, no seizures, just really quiet. I ran to the van to get it ready for the 30 minute trip to the vet hospital and got on the phone to alert them. This took me all of 5 minutes. When I went back out to the van, Alex got up and followed me out, and he was fine by the time my vet examined him.
We never knew what it was, we did bloodwork but everything showed up completely normal. The only thing we could think of was a beesting, as it was warm outside in the evening.
You may never know, but I would look around the environment for clues if they think it might be a toxic/allergic reaction.
Or maybe it is a bacterial menengitis or encephalitis and he is responding to the antibiotics?
Please do let us know what the bloodwork shows, and give him a big >HUG< for me.

Hillary

I am so glad all of our prayers were answered, hopefully you will find the cause of what happened to Drifter. I had a similar thing happen with one of our JRT girls that "Bit/Ate" a wasp, she was out cold, and by the time I got her to the vets she started coming around then acted like nothing ever happened.

Re: Re: Re: Update on Drifter...

Wow, thta sounds all too familular, it could have very well been eighter a bee or wasp sting, we have several wasps near our house, when we found him, he was out cold, in the yard, with several wasps actually sourrounding him. We quickly put a fan on him until we could take him to the vet, which made the wasps depart. But it could have very well been a wasp or bee sting. Thanks for pointing that out, I will let our vet know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Update on Drifter...

I would say you might want to keep an epi pen on hand for him if it was an Anaphylactic shock, it could very well happen again and things like that seem to be worse everytime it happens.
Let us know if your vet thinks that could be it!

I'm so happy for you that Drifter is home and doing well!!!!

Fantastic news, Hillary! I'm so glad that he's virtually back to normal and I hope you find out what caused this so that you can hopefully prevent it in the future.

Thanks so much for updating the list here...I have certainly been coming back to check as often as possible.

I am so glad to hear Drifter is doing better, thank you for the update. Let him continue to do well.

Glad to hear Drifter is home again and well. Hope you get some answers from the tests.

I happened to be speaking with someone I just met today and he told me about his girl who passed out cold and after passing out woke up after a while like nothing happened...sound familiar? He said they figured out that she had a larynx that would collapse. So when she passed out it relaxed the larynx and she came to. They did end up surgically fixing it so it would stay open. Just a thought since the symptoms sound so much alike! Best of luck!