Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Writing a bitch lease contract

I've someone who wants to lease a bitch from me, that's a well respected, longtime breeder. Not something I've done before and wanted to pick the great minds of old timers on suggestions for writing a solid contract that is reasonable for both parties.

Re: Writing a bitch lease contract

If it's a long time well respected breeder why don't you ask them how to write a contract for the lease and that way you can both have input in it.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Writing a bitch lease contract

I have done this a few times, contracts different everytime. Depends on what both parties are looking for out of it
Has worked wondefully for me!

I've been in this for a long time - over 20 years. I've not ever looked into leasing a bitch. I'm curious what some of the typical arrangements are (plain English, please I'm no lawyer). Also, why would a breeder with a really nice (or even outstanding) bitch lease her out for a litter. Or are there other reasons why someone would lease a bitch (as opposed to a stud dog)?

I leased a bitch back to her co-owner. I couldn't do a litter or pay a stud fee right then, and the co-owner wanted to breed her. So we just filled out the AKC paperwork and didn't have a contract - worked out fine. The AKC information is here: http://www.akc.org/reg/leaseabitch.cfm.

I would ordinarily do a contract. There is so much to worry about - the health of the bitch being the first. If you agree on the stud dog, perhaps you lease the bitch to you + her and she does all the financial stuff, gets pick puppy and proceeds from the pups, but you still get to be on as breeder of a nice pup. Or if you would rather do the whelping, you can do it for a fee - a puppy or the value of a puppy... So many options. Just get it all written down and signed.