Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

In order to further the research to find the TVD causing mutation we need:

1) Information and samples of either individual affected dogs or preferably as many dogs as possible (affected and unaffecteds) from families with affected members. We would ask for pedigree information, the clinical history and diagnosis and blood samples (5 to 10 ml of EDTA blood) for DNA isolation.

TVD Research/Funding Project instructions from Dr. Meg Sleeper:

Everything is confidential. Sending blood, pedigree and cardio report from affected dogs would be great and we can store here until funding is available (so no charge).

Exactly WHICH/WHAT dogs do you want blood from? Affected dogs, littermates, parents and grandparents (if available). Also, cardiology evaluations on any of these related dogs.

What kind of blood sample? 5 mls in a purple top tube (that is EDTA, not heparin) and the resulting whole blood does not need to be separated. The tube(s) should be sent with a cool pack and in a zip lock bag so if anything breaks blood will not damage the papers enclosed (pedigree and cardio reports).

WHERE should the samples and reports be sent?

Meg Sleeper
Section of Cardiology
MJR-VHUP
3900 Delancey Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Please visit the NLRC website for further information about TVD Research and Funding.

2) Funds. The estimated cost for DNA isolation, initial sample analysis, and salary support for one year would be approximately $50,000.

You may Paypal your donation to:
NLRCMembership@bellsouth.net and mark it: TVD RESEARCH. (There is a link on our website.) Be sure to include your name, address and phone number so you can be properly acknowledged and thanked by the Labrador community. OR, you can mail your donation to the NLRC Treasurer:
Arlene Renninger
2456 Steltz Road
New Freedom, PA 17349

Thank you for your time and concern. Please help us make this project of TVD Research a reality. Knowledge equals Power.

Becky Bailey
VP/NLRC
www.NationalLabradorRetrieverClub.com

Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

I have been told that there might be funding available with the National Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.. It would be wonderful if the two clubs were able to help with this TVD research. This could help to speed up the research needed.

Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

Where do you think Rebecca is from???
READ....and then think before you speak...

How about donating now??

Is this a completely new study starting from scratch or are they using previous research and samples from Dr. Kathy Wright study several years ago?

I guess another way to ask this is....If we participated in Dr Wright's study do they already have that information or not?

Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

Sorry, when I said the National Club I meant The Labrador Retreiver Club, Inc. or know to us memebers as The National Club, Inc. http://www.thelabradorclub.com/
I don't think that Rebecca is from there. Thank you for the correction!!!!

I will ask Meg your question. I don't know the answer, but I do
know this, WE can make a difference for our Labrador Retrievers and it takes MONEY. Please consider donating to this research. Breeders have been discussing this research for years now...and it can happen...I figured the $50,000 would already
be in the account to send to Dr. Meg by now...visit the
NLRC website and make a donation, it's concerning our past and affects OUR future. WE CAN DO THIS!

Thank you for understanding the question and not jumping all over me. I have heard from sources that the money is available and that all you have to do is ask. I think this would really help and both Labrador Clubs can put differences behind them for the betterment of the breed! That is just my opinion and worth a shot. Keep us posted as too what happens with this.

Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

Hey Breeder, OH, no problem with me as I am a member
of the National Club also. I am one of the many
Fundraisers for The National Labrador Retriever Club
who has taken on this project. We have to join forces
and monies to fund this research. Both Clubs have one
concern, the Labrador Retriever. The NLRC membership has made
it one of our missions to spearhead and help fund this research. We
need EVERYONE to help, all Clubs, all Breeders, all Fanciers,
all Owners...we want money and we want blood and we want cardiologists
reports. We want YOU!

All/Any of you who are Officers in the LRC please present
this call for action at your next Business Meeting. Officers
and members of local Clubs please present this at your next
Business Meeting. Individuals can donate via the NLRC
website. Thank you, in advance, I know we can do this.

Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

I'm imagining that there are individuals and possibly groups within our community that are saying that they could do this better or that maybe Penn is reinventing the wheel or who knows what, but HERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM IN OUR BREED.

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that Dr. Wrights research was stopped due to lack of funding. If we are cynical about this new research/opportunity the same thing could happen, and is that really what we want?

Maybe we can leave our egos at the door and all work together on this...wouldn't that be great? Wouldn't it be good if we asked our clubs and really got behind this? What if Dr. Sleepers ideas and research does work? What if the answers are only $50,000 away? Wow!

As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Maybe we also need to be contacting the LRC and the AKC, and ask them to get behind this. I would like to also ask my club to write a letter to the LRC and ask for their support, and also ask my club to support this research with a donation.

If the LRC was behind this, since they are the parent club, I would think that there might be a better chance of the AKC getting behind this and providing funding through their Canine Health Foundation.

I for one will be making a donation through the NLRC for TVD research and really appreciate the NLRC getting behind this! Thanks Rebecca!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

Yea You!!!! THANK YOU, if we can all do this, then we can do anything!!!!

Dr. Meg Sleeper responded to your question via email
at 10:04 tonight. I sent your question in it's entirety
and here is what she wrote:

"We have been in touch with Kathy and we are hoping to set up a collaboration
with her since she has already done so much work on it. Nothing is definite
yet, but I expect it will work out.
M"

We have received some exciting emails tonight concerning this TVD research funding, and also have new members to the NLRC...thank you for your
dues, you can be sure a part will be used for this
TVD Research.

FYI, nobody needs to thank me, it's US, WE are going to do this, together. Please forward the link on the NLRC website to your Club!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Update from Dr. Sleeper

I too would love to see the LRC behind this, but I am afraid that is what happened last time....the LRC would not help with any funding for Dr. Wright's study and yes, she had to stop due to lack of funds. The way I understood it, she was getting a lot of progress made and just couldn't continue without more funds. I think she went to the LRC and was turned down. Not sure about that, but if so, that is really sad. If the LRC backs a project like this, the AKC health foundation will look at it too. But if not, the AKC HF won't even look at it.

My point in asking my question is hoping that the study Dr. Wright did was not in vain. Many of us already contributed by having affected dogs examined and blood drawn. Do we need to do that again? From what I understood, the blood would be saved for further research should finding become available. I think we need to know if they have access to those samples.

Thank you for asking about this. I am glad that they are hoping to work together. I really hope that Dr. Wright's work does not go unrecognized. She worked very hard on this project before many people recognized it as a problem.

I will be sending my contribution in soon and hope that this really does pave the way for a DNA test.

Thanks again.

I haven't seen TVD personally but have heard enough to put the cheque in the mail today.