Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warding off mastitsis

My bitch whelped 8 babies a week ago and all seems to be going well. Tonight one of her ninnies is definitely showing signs of fullness, slightly harder and there is a small shinny reddened area near the nipple. Puppies can nurse but fight and suck to grab hold but finally do. I've pumped a small amount (about 5cc's) of milk off with a breast pump to be sure it is flowing OK and keeping one of the babies on it has helped but I'm worried of what might come. Her temp is normal. Any suggestions on being pro active.
Thanks in advanced

Re: Warding off mastitsis

In my experience, it's time to get her started on some antibiotics. Call your vet. He/she may be able to call something in to a pharmacy for you. May also help to hot pack the area. With luck, this won't become a full fledged mastitis.

Re: Re: Warding off mastitsis

She's already on Ampicillin 500mg twice a day.Thanks for the help

Re: Warding off mastitsis

Apply a hot pack, keep stripping out the milk (a breast pump made for humans may not fit a dog properly so manual expression is probably more efficient) and keep puppies nursing on the nipple.
Deb (with lactation counselor hat on)

Re: Re: Warding off mastitsis

Just what the above said. Keep expressing out the milk and put a strong pup on it. You can usually get over it, if it is at the start. I did a warm wash cloth for a few minutes after each time. First couple of times is hard since it is uncomfortable to her. Good luck.