Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Giardia

Can it be easily passed to humans? How do I ever get rid of it from my kennel?

Re: Giardia

Sorry I heard steaming is the best way

any recommendations?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Can it be easily passed to humans? How do I ever get rid of it from my kennel?

Re: Re: Giardia

yes it can be passed to humans, you can get it from drinking well water if the well is infected....

In the US: This organism remains the most commonly identified intestinal parasite. From 1964-1984, G lamblia caused at least 90 water-borne outbreaks of diarrhea, affecting more than 23,000 people. Groups most at risk for infection include travelers, children, homosexual men, and individuals with immunoglobulin deficiency states (inherited or acquired).

Re: Re: Giardia

ya steaming/intense heat kills it. we had a prob with it at my work cause of some puppy mill dogs that came in after the store they came from was closed.
as far as i know the only thing that works to kill it meds wise is panicur(sp) and or flagyl treatment.
hope this helps
adam

Re: Giardia

Do the 7 days of panacur and flagyl treatment concurrently, 5 days off then 5 days on of the treatment again. I used 1/10 bleach to H2O and that worked. After fighting giardia for a year, this treatment finally worked. Picking up all feces immediately - everywhere anmd spraying with a spray bottle worked on lawns, dirt, wherever in your yard etc. will end the problem but you have to be dilligent and determined. ...Then I used Forti Flora to replace the lost bacteria from the gut due to all the antibacteria...in the antibiotics...available from your vet - this really works also. I have someone on this forum to thank for this treatment - so again, thank you - it works!
A