Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Services

What is the going rate for a young unproven stud service? Half the going rate of a regular stud fee?

Re: Stud Services

My un-proven stud , was $800. He had 9 ch. points.

Just answering your question, and not getting into clearances, etc... I have done it several different ways depending on the circumstances and if I know the bitch owner. You could always wait and charge the full stud fee if there are puppies.

Re: Re: Stud Services

Mine also was $800, he had 6 Ch points

When you say 'unproven' do you mean about producing quality or about producing period? In the age of microscopes, semen evaluations and AIs, infertility should not be an unknown. Have a semen analysis done. And your clearances!

If you mean 'unproven' in what quality of a puppy he can produce, then yes there are many options to get quality boys to your girl. Full price, half price, puppy back, I have even heard of some not charging to have that first litter or two with a quality girl with someone they know will have the resulting puppies in the show ring.

Most people go about it by having a show record on their young boys that have people wanting to breed to their nice young upcomers by the time they have their clearances done- usually at regular stud fee prices.

Good luck.

I would not pay that much. I will be using a BISS champion who fee is $800.

I did my stud the first two times for less. Did not hurt me one bit. I wanted him used and some pups on the ground. After that and some titles the price went up. But yes, the first couple were about $500.
I would not want to use an unproven dog. Way to much cost and work going on with the female end of it.
It is not a stud dog anyway until it has had a litter. It just a dog.

My first litter from my young pre-limmed male was the same price stud fee as he is right now at a year and a half later. All nine pups from his first litter were worth just as much as the nine he sired last week.

Good for you!How much would you propose for a pointed boy then???

You get what you pay for.

Re: Re: Re: Stud Services

Not always!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

You get what you pay for.

I have bred to numerous multiple BISS Ch. males and all have been $800. The only price break I got was on a younger pointed dog who had already earned his 2 majors at big specialties. It was a gamble but I decided to go for it before he had his final clearances. The stud fee was $400. Is your dog that good? I think your boy needs to complete his championship or have produced some outstanding litters before he warrants the big bucks. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stud Services

Boy, that is the truth ! You get what you pay for. Not when it comes to what we are doing with the dogs and making our choice. Sometimes, yes. Sometimes you just spent your $$$$.

I have to agree, why would you pay the same for a AM Ch. stud with alot of pups out to see at specialtys as a boy that had never been used at all. Not me. Get him used, get the pups out. You need to see what he produces yourself. JMO

your average BYB in my area studs dog for $600-$800
the average doodle breeders are getting that as well, and selling pups for $800-$1200
I refuse to put a lower stud fee on my dog because he is not an AKC Champion. I have invested so much time and money into showing him. I have done OFA's, Optigen and Heart. He has taken nice wins at all breed and specialty shows.
He has produced some lovely pups and his stud fee is $800.
I am not going to be cheeper when Joe Blow down the road who does nothing with his dogs gets $600-$800.
I don't think you should be paying any more or less for a stud fee than what you can get for you pups.
If I am using a stud who is geographically in the range of $800-$900 then I am selling my pups for $800.
I realize some areas like the east can get away with selling pups for $1200-$1500 so their stud fees are right up there. If I choose to use a stud who is $1200 I won't sell my pup for that because it was MY choice to use the boy. I still charge $800 for the pups.

You sound right in line with things. And I agree about your own boys prices. He has had nice pups. Think the orginal question was, do you charge full fee for a boy that has never been used. I also, do not sell pups for the $1,500 you end up paying for breeding your own females. Love more a wonderful home.

I think the point is to get him used on a descent female to see if/what he can produce, whether he's pointed or not. I may not have a female that I feel he will compliment so I'd be willing to charge $500 or collect the stud after the pups are on the ground. With progesterone testing and checking the semen, the breeding should take. The owner of the female is getting a break and Im able to prove the male.

Shouldn't you have a good idea of what your boy can/should produce from his pedigree? If that is quality won't his puppies (bred to the right bitch) be quality as well? So if he has a pedigree that is worth while and he himself is a fine example why should you charge less??? I have a male out of a very well known and respected kennel here in the US and pending his final clearances I don't plan on charging less. He is beautiful and his pedigree is outstanding (one of the finest in my local area). I will however most likey use him one a girl of my own first. But I certainly don't think he is worth less because he has no offspring out there yet.