Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retained baby teeth

I have a five month puppy with two retained upper and lower canine baby teeth. The permanent teeth are about half way through and right next to them. The baby teeth are a little loose. How long do I wait before removing them?

I do have an appointment for Monday of this week...but do I need to jump the gun?

Re: retained baby teeth

I would wait...as long as the baby teeth are loose - they will fall out. When my male was 8 months and he still hadn't lost his baby canines - I had them pulled - they were not loose and they were ruining his bite.
Hope this helps.
A

I would wait a while longer. Generally they will fall out on their own. Keep working at loosening the baby teeth....make sure the pup has stuff to chew on. I would not do anything until the permanent teeth are in. I think you will find this will push the baby teeth loose.

Re: Re: retained baby teeth

Time to buy some nice marrow bones to chew on..that does it for mine

As per my canine orthodontist (who drives a new Volvo on us) cow hooves are the thing, and don't worry until 6.5 months.

I had one of my girl's baby canines pulled under general when she was just 6 months, right before her first show, after all else failed.

Because your pups teeth are a little loose, I would spend some time this weekend playing with her with a piece of cheesecloth or a gauze 4X4.......I discovered this method years back when a pup grabbed a 4X4 I had just used while scaling an adults teeth - when I took it from puppy's mouth, lo and behold - her loose canine had snagged on the loosely woven gauze and out it came! No muss, no fuss, no trying to hold a wiggly pup to check just how loose the teeeth had gotten!

I don't think anything works better than flip chips.

I would recommend Flip Chips as well! Works like a charm!

I always use a Needle Nose Pliers ...does the trick quickly every time!

Watch them carefully. I have had two cases where the baby teeth did not come out soon enough and caused the adult teeth to grow in at an improper angle.

I've had this happen a lot in my Havanese, and once or twice in Labs. One thing you want to be very careful of is to avoid making the pup mouth shy, especially if you want to show him or her. Mostly the teeth will get loose (with chew toys) and then you can sneak in and pop them out (real fast) with a butter knife or use a pair of hemostats or needle nose pliers. I did have one Havanese that retained an incisor, and she kept it for over a year and it wasn't going to come out by itself. So the vet put her under for about 10 seconds and pulled the tooth, she never knew the difference, and he charged me $25. (Did I say I love my vet?)

BTW - the bites were not affected by any of the retained baby teeth, including the incisor.