Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much for puppies?

May I ask how you decided on a price to ask for your puppies?

My first litter is due in February and I don't have a clue as to how much to ask.

Great breeders in this area are few and far between (not calling myself a great breeder btw) and the going rate per the newspaper is about $500-.

My girl is OFA excellent, elbows clear, CERF annually, Optigen A, Can CH, AKC major pointed, being bred to an Am/Can CH also of appropriate clearances.

I don't want to charge too much and exempt some really great families who just can't afford a $1000 puppy. But I think $600 is too cheap.

I am obviously not after a profit, would just like a puppy out of her. Several others are spoken for, I just don't know what to tell them how much for!

Re: How much for puppies?

From what has been posted previously, seems like price is depending on the area. East and West coast are around the $1200-1500 range and midwest around the $800-900 range. Again, some people will go up or down from there and this is not meant to be all inclusive - just a general observation.

Re: Re: How much for puppies?

I would say perhaps you should price them according to what you would expect to pay for the same quality from someone else.

Re: Re: Re: How much for puppies?

What did you pay for your girl? Prices have gone up.

I've heard from several breeders that they price litters according to the stud fee- same price for a puppy as what was paid for the stud fee.
Just an idea.

I disagree, most stud fee's are $800-$1000 and most breeders I know are selling pups for $1000-$1500.

How much are other show breeders in your area ? Don't sell them short. We are usually all between $800 and $1,000. And time to go up from the sounds of it. Mine have been more than the stud fee. But the stud fee is only half of the cost of breeding. Prog test, shipping, etc. We should be charging $1,500 a pup. and some do.

$1000 to $2000 depending on the location in the United States or Canada.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

May I ask how you decided on a price to ask for your puppies?

My first litter is due in February and I don't have a clue as to how much to ask.

Great breeders in this area are few and far between (not calling myself a great breeder btw) and the going rate per the newspaper is about $500-.

My girl is OFA excellent, elbows clear, CERF annually, Optigen A, Can CH, AKC major pointed, being bred to an Am/Can CH also of appropriate clearances.

I don't want to charge too much and exempt some really great families who just can't afford a $1000 puppy. But I think $600 is too cheap.

I am obviously not after a profit, would just like a puppy out of her. Several others are spoken for, I just don't know what to tell them how much for!

I just heard from someone calling to inquire about puppy availability that someone in the NE area of PA is charging $2000 for limited and $2500 for full registration. This person is also telling puppy buyers that their annual income from selling puppies is $300,000!

I charge 1500.00 and could sell pups all day long at that price. I think it's a fair price...after I add up all my hours it's not even minimum wage! lol

Imagine how many puppies it would take to make 300K per year. What is the point you are a puppy mill?.

Only because the math of this simply amazed me! A $300k gross income, with a presumed price of $1,500 per puppy equals 200 live puppies! Now presume that the average litter is 6, that is approx 34 litters a year which translates into plus or minus 3 litters a month. And I was just thinking....given that I spend the first week on a cot in the whelping room next to the whelping box, I would guess whoever breeds that much never sleeps in their own bed????

I don't know about annual income of $300,000 but there is a breeder in that area that is selling pups for that price...$2000 ltm and $2500 for full reg....she/he does have many litters a year as has many dogs but also lists litters that are from her/his studs and from what I've seen they are beautiful, I don't know how he/she does it but they all seem well taken care of..I certainly don't have that much time or money

It would be more litters than that, being the net is 300K. With expenses and taxes wouldnt she be selling 400-500K in puppys to take home 300K. How many litters now?

that's no hobby is it

Now its not hard to figure out who that is!

Now, who would tell a puppy buyer what their annual income is from selling puppies? Doesn't that strike you as a false statement?

Barb

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much for puppies?

Of course, if you're whelping 30+ litters, you might hire some tender-heated individual who looooves puppies to help you out. At minimum wage, off the books. Because it's obviously all about the benjamins......

Are you getting those prices for black males? LOL. I seem to have a hard time finding homes for them these days.

The person wants to know what we sell pups for. She did not ask us to start judging others. We all do something different ! And for the last question, yes, black males seem harder to place for alot of us. And they are so beautiful. Well just like every other color.

Thanks guys, I am just thinking where I was a few years ago, I couldn't afford a puppy at 1000-1500 and I was a stellar home to my now deceased puppy mill boy, who was $250-.

Stud fee is $1500 so I won't charge that, I think I will go around $900.

Thanks again. I am in Eastern Ontario

Stud fee of $1500? That is pretty steep!

I paid $800 for my bitch in a higher priced part of the country. The stud I was going to use was $700. A couple people are on my waiting list for a potential litter to be whelped end of Dec. and I quoted them $700. I might have been able to go higher I suppose but I think $700 is fair based on my expenses.

If you had originally said ON was your local(I suspected due to your area code nod), area, I would say then you need to contact the Eastern ON Lab Breeders Association and perhaps ask members what they are charging. Here in ON, prices seem to go from 850 up to 1500. The other thing you have figured in is PST tax. Oh yes, even if its one litter, you should be remitting. Some breeders build in the tax into the final price. Myself, generally one litter a year and add the current 8% on top. Most buyers seem to understand that.