Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiant Heat Flooring

Does anyone have radiant heat flooring in their kennel? If so, do your dogs like it or try to move away from it? Does it work well for puppies or is it too hot?

Re: Radiant Heat Flooring

I have it and I imagine it depends a lot on the installation and type. Mine is piped water and it basically warms the floor to a "room temperature" feel to the touch, so in the winter, the dogs like it unless I turn it up too high.

My puppy room is great for the pups, cuz the floor and whelping box stays warm which is great for the puppies.

It really doesn't get 'hot' to the touch, but as with any heat, you need to be careful not to have it set too high. With the water floor heat, you need to realize that it doesn't "shut off" like other heat....the floor stays warm and continues to stay warm even after it has run a cycle. Which makes it economical.

Hate it. Too hot. Worst mistake I ever made. I had to raise everything up off the floor. The dogs never want to lie down on it. Pups cry in the whelping box from being too warm, and the only way to quiet them was to raise their entire box off the floor. I am going to bite the bullet, and put my old propane heater back in there, and disconnect the radiant heat. Lots of money, but what good is it if the dogs are miserable?

Re: Re: Radiant Heat Flooring

I love it. We have an outdoor wood furnace that heats the hot water piping in the floor. We have 3 seperate zones in the kennel. In the winter we set the floor to 68F were the dogs are and most boarders lay on the floor and not their blankets. We can wash the floor and it dries in 15 minutes. The puppies are in the house until they are 4 weeks old and then go to the kennel. We keep the puppy room set on 70F and they love it. Wish I could have it in our house.It is an even constant heat.

Freedom Guide Dogs has a floor that can be heating or cooling. Pretty nifty setup that I've seen in person.

Re: Re: Re: Radiant Heat Flooring

I grew up in a house with radiant heat in the floors in the 1950's. None of our dogs ever seemed to mind it, and I liked having my feet warm:-) I'd be happy to get another home with the same heating system.

Barb

I didn't have it in a kennel, but did have it in a house with dogs inside and turned it off (naturally) in the warmer months. The dogs loved it. We kept the temp pretty low...68 or 65 during the day with some passive solar to help out. Best thing we ever did. You would find a dog laying on the floor - flat out and loving it.They could move into another room that didn't have it if they wished - but they never did. Setting the thermostat correctly is the key.
A