Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IBS Food?

What is a good food for irritable bowel syndrome? My Vet prescribed duck and potato at 70 bucks for 20lbs.

Any other options?

Re: IBS Food?

I Googled the duck and potato dog foods. Did your vet specify a brand or it's something sold from their office?

Here is the Google Search, it might be helpful as $70 for 20 lbs sounds absurd.

http://www.nextag.com/dog-duck-food-potato/search-html

Does anyone use a food on this list that they can recommend?

I hope the food helps with your dog's IBS. There might be other natural ingredients you can add to help with it. Is there anyone heavily into holistic have an idea for breeder in the way of a food less costly or an additive to help with the belly issues?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What is a good food for irritable bowel syndrome? My Vet prescribed duck and potato at 70 bucks for 20lbs.

Any other options?

The pro-plan sensitive skin and stomach helped my dog. It doens't cost near that much.

Re: Re: IBS Food?

Thanks Breedertoo and Gina...those are much better prices!!!! Other ideas on tummy food would be appreciated too

Look at www.natren.com. They have probiotics made just for dogs. Expensive but worth it for IBS.

We use Dogzymes probiotics.

Gina is that similar to NYZMES? http://www.nzymes.com/

"Gastrointestinal Problems Like...
DIGESTION PROBLEMS DIARRHEA NAUSEA LOOSE STOOLS
GAS IRRITABLE BOWEL (IBS) COLITIS BLOAT-TORSION
LIVER OR KIDNEY DAMAGE EATING GRASS OR FECES"

Has anyone tried these for any other ailments, if so was it of any help? TIA.

Re: Re: IBS Food?

I thought my boy had irritable bowel. About once a week or once every 2 weeks he would have diahrea. I was feeding him Nutro Lamb and Rice. When I switched his food to chicken/turkey, the IB resolved. I believe it was the Lamb that was upsetting his tummy. Maybe too rich. We are happy now on Pro Plan Select.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/DOGzyme.htm

Thank you Gina!

Re: Re: IBS Food?R.C venison and potatoe

our rescue dog was diagnoised with IBs,,at 9mths,, at the advise of a specialitist in this field we put her on royan canin venison and potato, not expensive,,shes 6 now and we still use it,,and since the original diagonoisis and meds to get her healthy we have been usuing it ever since, no supplements and shes still on it. i highly recommend it.

I would definitely give probiotics a try. I use a child's probiotic tablet that was recommended by my holistic vet - they are called Florabears. They are orange flavored and the dogs think they are a treat. I don't think you necessarily have to use this brand, and I don't think you have to use a canine probiotic, either. However, according to my holistic vet, for probiotics to be effective they should be the refrigerated type.

I also use Prozyme when I feed kibble food.

I think the addition of probiotics to my dogs' diets has been the best single thing I have done for them, healthwise.