Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introducing puppy to Territorial pet

A puppy buyer with a rescue mixed breed at home, around 15 to 20 lbs, describes this pet as territorial. What is the best advice for them in introducing their new puppy to this dog at home? I know it must be done right or it may backfire! Thanks for your input.

Re: Introducing puppy to Territorial pet

I would recommend introducing the puppy on neutral territory for sure. Also bring a towel and some toys when you visit the puppy and rub the puppy with them to get some of the pups scent to bring to the adult dog prior to any introduction. Try not to take all the attention away from the adult dog. Any toys that are favorites of the adult should be put away so that there is no resourse guarding. Keep both dogs off the beds and furniture, watch the puppy to be sure it doesn't approach the adult dog at feeding time and while treats are being given. Reward the adult dog when the puppy is near and the adult is exhibiting good behavior. Try not to interfer if the adult is correcting the puppy appropriatley. I try to let the dogs work things out as long as there is no blood shed...vocalization and posturing is fine. After all the puppy does have to respect the the pack order....JMO