Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dogs has narrowed down the new ride.

I will have to say impressed with the HHR if you only showed 1 dog. They were nice to test drive.
The Outlander had to be the best van for much roominess and plenty of room for 3 or more crates.+'
allowing passengers. But what a nice van.

But after 2007 no more passenger vans will be made from anyone. possibly the stretch vans.

But has anyone who only shows 2 dogs. or Hauls 2 crates. Have a Ford Edge? and do you like it.
Do you have room for your crates + your gear.
I don't have any 2 legged children so don't have to worry about if the roof racks are sturdy enough to accomidate them riding on the roof, while the dogs are inside.
We show 4 dogs but don't always show 4 at a time.
Don't think I can afford the gas to guzzle out of the expedition
TIA.

Re: Dogs has narrowed down the new ride.

I have a big dog truck that handles eight dogs, but I also have a Honda Element. The Element is great because:

1. No carpet. Whole interior, including seats is water-resistant and easy to clean.

2. Back seats fold up (one or both) or can be faily easily removed completely.

3. Room for two crates and gear (assuming you don't use huge crates.

4. Gas mileage is reasonable (around 25).

So, when I am going somewhere with only one or two dogs, I take the Element.

MK

I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. I had a 2005, but in 2 years had already racked up 85,000, so I sold it. My dog show partners also have a 2005, so we weren't without, and I bought a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. I loved it, but only had it a year and realized that I needed a van back. This one is pretty much exactly like my 2005, but it has a sunroof, and the DVD player is in the headrests. It has stow 'N' Go seats which I love, and can accommodate several crates. Did I understand you correctly...after 2007 they will not be making vans anymore? Dodge has a 2008 Caravan, but I didn't care for the body style. It is actually $2,000 cheaper than the 2007. I like the Ford Edge, but have never ridden in one.

Re: Re: Dogs has narrowed down the new ride.

Laurie - the Santa Fe is one of the vehicles I am seriously considering. How is the cargo space? I would need to fit two crates, plus assorted show gear. Would I have enough room?

TIA

MK,

I have an Element too. Trying to get something a little bigger, but for the time being, what size crates do you use and how is your set up?

I built a platform, but I still have to get narrower crates to fit 2 inside. Currently there is 1. Before that, I put a double door facing the back and then a soft. Not much room for gear...its a pain. (Took out the back seats too).

Would love to know what set up you have so I can put more stuff in (and 2 dogs!).

EA

(private e-mail would be fine too)

Re: Re: Dogs has narrowed down the new ride./ Honda Element

Can two 36 x 24 wire crates be set up side by side in the back? I really like my well-used CRV, but I am pretty limited to one dog in a crate, and one laying down, outside of the crate. The back seat does not fold down flat. I like the availability of AWD on these two models, though they are small, but affordable and good on gasoline.

yep that's what i was told on no more vans. Not sure how you got a 2008, As most of them haven't even come out.They are going to crossovers and the Suv's

Re: Re: Dogs has narrowed down the new ride./Honda Element

I think you answered my previous question. I would think you could put one crate with a front door only, facing outward towards one of the the side doors; and the second, arranged perpendicularly, behind it, with a side door. That is, if it fits in between the whatchamacallits...without using a platform.

Better look for a low mileage lease return AWD van, methinks, or a midsized SUV.

I rented a Ford Escape one time when I went to an out of town specialty. I got one 400 and one 500 crate plus luggage in it. The back seat layed down flat. It handled well and got good mileage.

Re: Re: Re: Dogs has narrowed down the new ride.

I had a 36" crate in the back, and there was still room for another crate with the back seat down. However, I don't know if you would be able to get the dog in and out through the side doors. I don't know how much equipment and luggage, etc that you would be carrying, but the Santa Fe is roomy, but certainly not like a van.

I didn't buy a 2008, because I did not like the body style, but they had several of them on the lot. I got a 2007, which was almost identical to the 2005 that I use to have. This was Dodge, maybe I misunderstood you, and you were referring to a different make.