Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Local Clubs

I'm a member of the LRC, but I live in an area where the closest local breed clubs are several hours away. There are actually three choices. I attend all of their specialties and I have good friends in all three clubs.

Are you a member of a local club? How would you choose between three? What benefits do you get from your membership? I would of course work and participate as much as possible, just as I do for all of the clubs that I belong to. I'm trying to decide two things - IF I should join a club, and if yes, WHICH club should I join?

THANKS!

Re: Local Clubs

I personally would join a club that is involved in the events that I participate in most. For me that would be conformation and field work right now. I'd also want to be a member of an active membership.

It might be best to go to a membership meeting for all the clubs and then make your decision.

I actually belong to two local clubs, one that is in my area (i'm now on the board) and one where I am their farthest north member, but i liked the people, and enjoyed my time with them, so i joined.

Find a club where you like the folks, they do what you do, obed, conformation, hunt, agility whatever, or some of each so you can learn. I find i am able to help some at the more distant club (i teach a sunday rally workshop for them when i'm in the area, and bring things to events)...

a local club can be a great way to make many many labrador friends and connections

barb

Isn't our parent club wonderful? Not a shot at LRC Member, but I always thought membership in one of the regional specialty clubs should be assumed to be a requirement for LRC membership. You see this all the time with that group - they've got members who are in positions to pull strings and make the rest of us jump through hoops, but they never pitch in to help on the local level - hell, you seldom if ever see them. But boy, let the National come to your area and watch how fast they come knocking on your door.

Our club's LRC members are some of the most active members of our club. They also help out at every National, not just the ones in our area. Then we have some local members who don't lift a finger to help at our local club's events and then wonder why they can't get membership into the LRC. The LRC generally wants long-time ACTIVE members. It may not apply to everyone but that has been my experience.

Re: Re: Local Clubs

If I were going to be attending events of all 3, I might consider associate/non-voting memberships at all 3. I still belong to my old club in another state, and now I belong to my new club in my current state, and I belong to the local kennel club as well. I also belong to the LRC and the NLRC. I don't do much with those 2, but I am sure my nominal membership dues helps with SOMETHING.