Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pick bitch with white on chest

what would you do if the pick puppy had white on her chest?? is this acceptable and can you show them?

Re: pick bitch with white on chest

How much white?

Re: Re: pick bitch with white on chest

Read the standard, a small white spot is permitted, i've finished 3 champions that had a thin line of white going down the cowlick in their chests.
I would not discount a white spot for a lesser quality one... alot of time as they grow older it almost disappears.
Aloha,
jackie

I agree with Jackie. Most of the time it will barely be seen when they are an adult. If she really is the best girl look past the white and look at the whole dog.

Johanne

right now at 9 weeks it seems like a lot to me, maybe the size of 50 cent piece.

What color is the dog?

I kept one that had that, black and a large white spot, well now you can hardly see it and it has moved to almost the lower chest, so you can't see it!

White on the chest matters to me less and less. I would rather have all of the other "right stuff".

Re: Re: Re: pick bitch with white on chest

I think you'll be surprised at how little is left when she finishes growing. I had one that at birth had a large white stripe extending from her forechest down nearly to the zyphoid. At the time, I told myself that that one would be going to a pet home. Well, she's still with me, and I can't even find the white on her chest these days.

My boy was born with white from point-of-shoulder to point-of-shoulder, throat to sternum. White toes.

If you look hard (he's yellow) you can see a strip about 4 hairs wide and 3/4 inch long, but it really could just be shading and cream too. Nothing on toes. It all went when he shed his puppy coat.

she is a black bitch. thanks for the input. my feeling was i would keep her because she is so nice, but i have had a few negative comments about the white i was starting to doubt myself.

I have a (pet) puppy still here that as a little guy had a very obvious white stripe on his chest. At 4 months old it's barely visible.

It was once said "The white spot is too big if it leaves an obvious bald spot when the white hairs are plucked out."

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind that as the dog grows the spot does not grow in proportion.

Johanne

What about a small black dot (pencil eraser size) on a yellow lab? Would your answers be the same?

Yes. One of my foundation bitches had a black dot on her shoulder. Most folks thought it was a dirty spot.

They seem to be more persistant, but plucking works. I have heard of people bleaching them successfully.

If the black dot was noticeable by the judge would the dog be penalized or dissqualified? Show with the dot or bleach/pluck? What is your opinion on breeding a dog with a small black dot? (size of a pencil eraser) Will this dog produce puppies with mismarks? Likely or not likely? Do dogs with white spots that are bred with dogs that do not have white spots produce any white spots in the puppies?

My old girl that had the black dot on her shoulder produced only 1 dot on 1 pup out of 19 offspring that she raised. I have seen no "dots" in her grandkids or greatgrandkids.

White spot on chest (permissable) and black dot (DQ) are totally different things in my mind. You shouldn't dye, pluck, or show the dog. She/he might be a good producer for you, and may never produce a mismark, but changing a disqualifying fault is over the line for me (I know other's aren't above that level of cheating.) I wouldn't show the yellow dog with barely perceptible white feet either.

I had a pick bitch with white on her chest. It hasn't kept her from doing well in the ring. I'm sure some judges don't like it, just like some don't like zippers on the face, but if she's your best bitch I'd keep her.

So you're saying that if you had a lab with every other desirable quality that you had ever wanted, AND a tiny obscure black dot somewhere on his/her body, you wouldn't show him/her? I never plucked the black hairs from my bitch, but I darn sure showed her. I never had a judge dq her from the ring. If I ever have another keeper with a black dot, I certainly won't let that dot make me leave her home from the shows. JMO.

What are zippers?
Annie

a zipper is a cowlick on their muzzle.

Annie,

It's where the hairs on the bridge of the nose grow into each other and don't flatten out, so they kind of stick up forming a ridge.

Here's a small zipper nose:
http://www.grampianlabs.com/daisymae.htm
sometimes they go right up the nose to the top of the eyes! This is seen in Goldens as well.

Hope this helps,
Johanne

Until you have had them, you can't say what you would do. Presented with a gorgeous puppy with a couple dozen black hairs, you might just change your mind. I'd be more impressed if you said you had a pup with a tiny black spot and your spayed and placed her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: pick bitch with white on chest

Hmmm..seems an odd thing to take issue with to me. And what an accomplished gal that Daisy is:)
Annie

IIRC (and I may be wrong) but the black dots are not inheritable.

They're the same as a splash mark, and are from being too close to another pup in the womb. I don't know more detail about it than that, but I'm sure I saw a website somewhere about it.