Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
progesterone 0.7/when to test again?

Blood drawn Monday Sept 17. The number was 0.7 and she was day 6 or 7 in her heat cycle. When would you test again?

Re: progesterone 0.7/when to test again?

In a similar situation my vet drew blood again two days later (morning of the third)so on day 10.

Has she been bred before so you have a progesterone history on her to go by? If not, personally I would bring her in on Thursday to see how fast she is moving, and I would keep the stud dog owner up to speed. Good Luck.

I would check it again on Wed or Thurs.
Depends on your girl.
I have one that takes forever to get to 2 and then can be at 12 in two days after that!
While another girl will just do a steady climb of about two points a day after reaching 2.
Good luck!

Re: Re: progesterone 0.7/when to test again?

I was thinkinng Thursday myself. That way I can always skip friday and get a number on Saturday blood as well as Thursday if needed.I probably will.
Nice to have othher opinions though - I love to second guess myself NOT!!!!
Many thanks.

It would depend on where the semen is coming from. If it is local and you can breed any day - then Thurs should be fine. If you are shipping chilled - Thurs would be okay if you can ship Friday for Saturday delivery. Should she have her LH surge on Wed. - the suggested breeding days would be day 3 & 5 post LH. So, you might need to cover her on Sat. for the weekend.

I'd be testing Thursday & Saturday. Just one thought - The labs have people running the tests when the blood is received. After that, they fax the results to the veterinarian. Which means, the results from a Saturday test are at your vet's on Sunday morning. At most vet hospitals, someone comes in on Sunday. My vet will ask the Sunday person to look for the fax and give me a call.

You gotta ask or it won't happen. There is a good chance they will be willing to give you your results Sunday morning.

Just one more reason to develop a relationship with a repro vet. Specifically the ones that have the equipment to do progesterone, LH and other tests in house. Wait time for the machine to run the test once the blood is spun is only 2 hours to get the results, but it is worth a drive and cultivating the relationship in my opinion.

I would do it again on Thurs for a Friday result. Can the stud dog even ship on Sat. They a

Re: Re: Re: progesterone 0.7/when to test again?

Hit the wrong button. They always seem to want to go over the week ends or holidays.