Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worm and puppies...

I know we worm puppies, can someone give the layman's explanation as to if a dam doesn't have worms, where the pups get them. Do you normally worm a dam before breeding just in case? I recently did a round of panacur for suspected ghiardia, would that worming count?

I'll be doing some research on this and I also have a pre-breeding check up scheduled next week, where I can get more details, but I was just curious.

Re: Worm and puppies...

From the way I understand it is if Mom has ever had worms in her lifetime and even if she is "worm free" during her season and during whelping, the hormonal changes within her during that period of time will cause the encysted larval that has been in her muscle from previously having worms, to mature and are then transferred to the pups via her uterus and through the milk from the mother. Hence the pups can be born with worms or contract them from Mom during lactation.
This is true of roundworms.
Your treatment for Giardia with Panacur should deworm for Roundworms, hookworms, whips and tapes.

Here is an excerpt from peteducation.com:

Fenbendazole (Panacur), is a medication used to treat infestations with many parasites including roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms. It may also be used in the treatment of flukes and Giardia. Side effects are rarely seen. In addition to treatment, elimination of parasites must also include proper sanitation and prevention measures to ensure the pet does not become reinfected

Re: Re: Worm and puppies...

Thanks, that's what I found out last night. I love my "Book of the Bitch". Thank you for answering.