Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scooting bottoms on the floor

I have a problem here with butt scooting/anal glads. Thought it was the food so I switched a few weeks ago. My older girl that is 4 yo does not do it as much anymore but my 9 mo does and now my 7 mo is starting. I externally drain the glads when I see this starting but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to help the issue. My vet said its genetic/hereditary and its rare in Labradors (I'm looking for a new vet) and was no help in looking for solutions/causes. (My girls are in no way related.)

Any advice

Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

Add fiber to their diets. Either sprinkler a high fiber cereal or sprinkler their food with something like metamucil (sp?)

There are three reasons for butt-scooting in any dog: anal glands need to be expressed or are impacted, allergies, or tapeworms (from fleas). Tapeworms are easy to check for, won't got there as I'm eating lunch right now, the other two see a vet!

Re: Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

Adding some psyllium to the diet helps.

Re: Re: Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

Stanley Steamer!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

Cute, very cute.

I think it may be a marking thing.

Do you give them lots of attention when they do it?

Maybe I am the only one, but my girl scoots for about two weeks before she comes into season.

Not an anal gland issue for her at all.

Melissa you might be on to something... it did start about 3 weeks before her first season.

Do you guys think pumpkin will work??

Pumpkin or pumpkin powder if you can get it might work. Great way to add fibre

You could try this:
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/anal_gland_problems.htm

Re: Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

Any idea why some dogs seem to have endless Anal Gland issues and others never have a problem? Never had an issue with ANY of my dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Scooting bottoms on the floor

My vet suggested canned pumpkin....haven't tried it yet...