Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaginal Hyperplasia

Has anyone experienced this in their girls ? Can a girl with this be bred ? This appeared with the following heat after she had a litter, it disappered after her heat was over but has now reappeared again with her next heat. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Vaginal Hyperplasia

I have not experienced this, but found this and thought it might be helpful to you.

In vaginal hyperplasia, a proliferation of the vaginal mucosa, usually originating from the floor of the vagina anterior to the urethral orifice, occurs during proestrus and estrus, as a result of estrogenic stimulation. The most common sign is a mass protruding from the vulva. Initially, the mass is smooth and glistening, but with prolonged exposure, the surface becomes dry and fissures develop, so it has a tongue-like appearance. A slight vaginal discharge may be present. Although the hyperplastic tissue originates near the urethral orifice, dysuria is uncommon. Vaginal hyperplasia interferes with copulation. Reluctance to breed or failure of intromission may be the only clinical sign if the hyperplastic tissue is contained within the vaginal vault. Vaginal hyperplasia resolves spontaneously as soon as estrogen declines. The diagnosis is made by the history (stage of the estrous cycle) and examination of the vagina. Estrogenic stimulation could be confirmed by vaginal cytology if the history is questionable. The two differential diagnoses are vaginal prolapse (excluded by the history and physical findings) and neoplasia (excluded by biopsy).

If the hyperplastic tissue is not causing problems, therapy is not indicated. However, if it protrudes from the vulva, it should be kept clean and moist and an antibiotic ointment applied. An Elizabethan collar may be necessary to prevent self-trauma. These animals may be bred by artificial insemination. The hyperplasia regresses as soon as the follicular phase of the estrous cycle has passed. Rarely, the hyperplasia recurs at parturition, presumably associated with a burst of estrogen. Submucosal resection may be necessary if the mass is extremely large or if mucosal damage is extensive. Recurrence is common even after surgical resection. Vaginal hyperplasia resolves within days of removal of estrogen. Ovariohysterectomy hastens resolution and prevents recurrence and is the treatment of choice.

Re: Re: Vaginal Hyperplasia

I'm sorry to hear that about your poor girl. We recently had a girl with vaginal hyperplasia also. First couple of heats were normal. After her clearances, the next heat presented with it (only slightly). We were told by our vet and another breeder that she could be bred anyway by AI, but we chose not to breed her. Her next heat, it presented again, only much worse. Once again we were told that she could be bred by AI or that we could have it surgically corrected. I checked with several more vets and repro's who told me that it would probably recur with each heat cycle and the only way to insure that it would not happen again would be to have her spayed. They also said that it is possible that she could pass this off to her offspring (it hasn't been proven either way). So, rather than take a chance that this trait could perpetuate in her lines, we chose to spay her. She is now a lovely pet.

If you are concerned about not passing off possible hereditary problems, I would urge you to have yours spayed also. Sorry

We had a girl that presented with hyperplasia several years ago after having several normal cycles. After consulting with our vet we did bred her by AI- she produced a litter of eight pups and had no complications delivering the pups. The following heat we did surgery to remove the hyperplasia and then bred her once again the following year without complications. There were three pups total - a girl and 2 sons that were placed in breeding programs from her two breedings - the daughter never had a problem and never produced a daughter with hyperplasia in two breedings. To our knowledge, neither of the sons have produced offspring with hyperplasia either. I would say that it depends on the quality of the bitch and what she can contribute to your breeding program. You do need to be able to manage your girl to keep her hyperplasia clean and lubricated to retain moisture.

Oh......... You mean that you shouldn't just let it hang out of her rear like a water balloon, heat cycle after heat cycle in a dirty, outside kennel run 24/7 without so much as a vet visit??

LMAO!

You know who you are!!!!

Here is another side to the coin:I have a girl that had a severe case of vaginal hyperplasia and it appeared on her 3rd season. I bred her successfully by AI and she had 7 puppies by c-section. The second time I bred her she did not have it and she whelped 5 puppies on her own. The hyperplasia is an estrogen effect and should be delt with carefully. She is a nice producer and I'm glad I didn't spay her.

I have to say I was embarassed to put this question on the forum when I first noticed this with one of my girls. Now I feel so stupid for not asking...

My girl had this and did have a litter, very successful, easy whelp in fact, 6 lovely pups. She is bred again, by AI. (AI the 1st time) She's a house doggie, clean, all is fine. I'm reading about possible complications, etc... To those of you that have experienced this, can you please explain a little more about "complications", things to worry about etc.... Thus far it has presented no problem other then being huge. Is this something that I should really have removed? If so when? or just leave it if we dont have problems. Oh, just a note I also own her mother that did NOT have this ever.

TIA!!