Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
El Nino litter in New Zealand

We lost our Stormy just after Crufts this year. I didn't take it very well. I realized later that it was the first time I had lost a dog to illness. He's buried next to King Frost with a Blue Moon rose to mark his grave.

I've just had this email from Jan Wallace of Mistybrook Labs in New Zealand .

"Great excitement! Just wanted to update you on the Storm / Grace litter - whelped naturally yesterday 19th September 3 dogs and 3 bitches, very very even. Very bonny and healthy and Grace is a wonderful kind, gentle and loving brood bitch. Peter and Jan Wallace"

Five years ago I sent a shipment of El Nino and Ring Round The World frozen semen to OZ. There have been many litters whelped Down Under but this is the first Storm litter born since his death. The bitch, NZ Ch Mistybrook Make Mine Mink, is a Ring Round The World daughter and was the top winning Lab bitch in NZ last year ( I think it was last year).

It's a very special litter.

Re: El Nino litter in New Zealand

Congratulations on the litter, and I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful boy.

Re: Re: El Nino litter in New Zealand

Isn't it wonderful that his beautiful lines can be carried on? Congratulations Saudjie.

I'll pass along your kind words to Jan in New Zealand. She's thrilled. I'll be going over soon so will have the opportunity to see how it works out.

Storm was a house dog. I cried for two weeks when he died and I miss him every day. I was in tears again when I heard he had a litter on the ground.

Hi Saudjie,

There will be some more Storm babies soon. My girl is due on Oct 12. Be proud, he has made and hopefully will continue to make a very positive impact on the breed Down Under.

Good luck with your babies, Jan.

Sylvia

Those special ones stay with you forever. I still occasionally cry over the ones lost years ago. Bless you, Saudjie.

Re: Re: Re: El Nino litter in New Zealand

Sylvia,

I am so happy we did that all those years ago. Thanks to you we've got all those Storm babies still to come. Keep me posted.

Our new balrion.com will be on line this weekend. I'll be wanting photos of all those Storm babies.

doen't this fall under a "litter announcement"?

Oh you, who are not so brave, have a heart, would you? Can't you here the bittersweetness in the message?

I would think this announcement comes under the catagory "Success of frozen semen and aren't we lucky to have it to keep great Labrador lines going".

No I understand her being proud and all but I have seen folks post simular messages of how proud they are of a litter that has hit the ground and they get their face rubbed in the dirt and left to feel like a fool.
I just find it interesting.

i would also like to throw in...

that I think we SHOULD be allowed to post brags on such wonderful arrivals! But rules should also apply.
Like stating the dogs OFAs, and other clearances.
We are allowed to brag about wins all the time on here and I personally think that sorta falls under the "advertisement" catagory as well.
I think we should all be proud of what we all do. This is hard work!!! We should be patting our fellow Lab folks on the back and on occation, patting our OWN backs!

I do see your point, "interesting." I would probably be one of those who would get their face rubbed in the dirt over such a thing!

I do think however that some dogs have earned the right to such special treatment. This is true no matter what sport or activity you join. A kind of R.H.I.P. thing I suppose. Hats off to those dogs that have reached that station! ( and to their "people") If I'm ever so lucky to own such a dog you better believe I might overstep my boundies on this forum

Well, interesting - very. This falls under the category of someone needing to get some perspective - not to mention a life. It's amazing what some people have the stones to say when they post anonymously.

Congratulations to Saudjie, bittersweet memories of a grand boy!

This is a special situation but interesting had an agenda. It's staring everyone right in the face who it is and why. Pretty sad.

Congratulations Saudjie and John, let Stormie live on through his new puppies.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Well, interesting - very. This falls under the category of someone needing to get some perspective - not to mention a life. It's amazing what some people have the stones to say when they post anonymously.

Congratulations to Saudjie, bittersweet memories of a grand boy!

Well, it's not staring me in the face who it is and why. I guess I need to get out more....

Re: i would also like to throw in...

Oh please

You had to be the one to rain on her parade.

You CLAIM you are all for bragging but yet you had to say something.

I'm very happy for her!

What is staring me in the face is that a lot of people need to get over the whole litter announcement stud dog promoting issue.
This is a forum of breeders for goodness sake.
No, I am not a long timer, so many will say I have no right to my opinion around here but I think it is pretty ridiculous that time after time I log on here and read a wonderful message about a litter being born well, a dog passing his clearance after a long wait for results or something so touching as being able to look forward to the future with a piece of a beloved dog still around only to see in the thread someone pop up crying foul. Why?
Why does it matter to people?
Yes...I see the note up above...but usually the posts that draw these comments are not actual advertisements, but people sharing that things have gone well for them or their dogs.
I would bet most times this issue is brought up the litter in discussion is not even available.
Why does it have to be such a touchy subject that has to be danced around?

We all know its inappropriate to post services available or pups for sale, but cant we differentiate between someone looking for business vs someone wanting to share? Does it really take that much more thought to look into the intent of a message?

I am not advocating advertising in any way. I just think that taking the rules so literally and possibly farther than their intent will cut out a lot of really great and positive conversations, and I doubt that was the plan.

"I am not advocating advertising in any way. I just think that taking the rules so literally and possibly farther than their intent will cut out a lot of really great and positive conversations, and I doubt that was the plan."

I think you've got that right!