Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
canidae vs other

I am currently feeding Eukanuba Labrador and I'm thinking of switching to Canidae or maybe Innova..Has anyone had any luck with either of these foods...I can't say anything bad about the eukanuba I just think there must be a better choice out there...thank you!!
Lisa

Re: canidae vs other

Personally my dog do great on Canidae and I'm very happy with their foods.

I feed All Life Stages to my adults and Chicken and Rice to Pups.

I know of several Labrador breeders who feed canidae in the Southern California area with great sucess.

But since foods can be a really sticky topic, you just have to find what works for you and your dogs.

Good luck!

I have two dogs on Canidae (C&R) and they are doing very well. It seems that folks either love it or hate it, so it must depend on the individual dog. I believe the C&R has a tad more protein than the ALS formulas and it has fewer ingredients, which can be a good thing.

I agree with you that there are better foods out there than Eukanuba. I had tried Innova in the past but didn't see results that warranted such a hefty price. You might also want to look into Nature's Variety. They are a made in America company, which is so important these days! Good luck!

Re: Re: canidae vs other

I fully agree with the other posters that each dog is different and many do well on different foods; it is a very individual thing.

I rotate my foods and have used both Canidae Chicken and All Stages, and Innova. My girl did not do that well on the Canidae. More itching and yeasty ears than normal. She has done better on the Innova.

Currently, I am transitioning to Innova's EVO and want to see how she does on hi-protein, grain-free foods. Next rotation will probably be Solid Gold's
Barking at the Moon or Orijen about which I have heard very good things. They are pricier but if she does well on them, it's worth it, IMO.

The endless search for the perfect food never ends....

Another to consider is California Natural. I switched over from Eukanuba to CN Lamb and Rice about 3 weeks ago - so a little early to see difference in coats, etc. However, there's less scratching going on and the crew is noisier at feeding time, for what that's worth! American company, all ingredients sourced in the US which was a biggie for me.

We used Canidae for years until recent. I tried their different formulas. I like the lamb and rice or ALS for dogs over 18 months old. We did have alot of diareah and lots of loose stools with Canidae with the adults on it.

but

Puppys dont do well on Canidae. We find much more bone and substance on puppies with other foods. We even experimented and sunbstantial bad results with Canidae for puppys.

Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

We switched to Canidae about two months ago. So far, we're very pleased with the results. We're using ALS for most; Chicken+Rice for one who does better with the single source of animal protein. Ears are sweet and clean; stools are firm. Prior to switching, we fed Eagle Pack... also an excellent food but very pricey.

Re: Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

My dogs never did well on Canidae, but we have been very happy with a brand you did not mention, Nature's Variety.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

I've just switched my crew over to Nature's Variety and, so far, all is well. The company advises to rotate through the different types of kibble (chicken, salmon, venison and beef, I believe). Do you do this?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

I am currently using Innova for my 2 dogs. Before I started using Innova, my black bitch had flaky skin and it cleared up immediatly with the switch to innova large breed.

Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

Been there: What food do you feed to your puppies to get good bone? Up to what age do you feed them this?

I have had great success with Canidae ALS for both my working labrador and my confirmation bitch. Stools are firm,ears clean, and coats have been good as well.
A member from my obedience club owns a feed store and says there are many choices in the all-natural foods but it comes down to what works for your crew. She also recomends switching up on on occasion as well.
Innova is a good quality food as well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: canidae vs other

We had very good results with Royal Canin Large Breed Starter til they are 5 months then to Large Breed puppy to 18 months. After that I think Canidae is a good maintenance food.

We also have tried Pro Plan Puppy and are very pleased with how puppies grow.

We really noticed the difference in bone and substance from when we switched puppys off Canidae.

And be careful to store the Canidae snap-buscuits in a cool place as if they get warm there are bugs in the seed that hatch and get all over the product. They say that in the heat the seed incubates and hatches these little black critters. I had to return so many times these treats when we were using the stuff. My dogs really like these treats but the bugs was a red flag for me. JMO

I haven't found anything that puts a coat on quickly and as long lasting as Innova EVO. I usually do about 2/3 EVO and 1/3 Pro Plan Selects(Turkey). Straight EVO is just a bit too rich. It's whatever works for your dog/s though. Watch the weight.