Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
We Can All Help

Check out the dog trade in the Phillipines. Just when you think you've seen it all, something even more abusive rears it's ugly head. Honestly, I'm mortified. Are they nuts over there? There are organizations to help stop animal abuse and environmental concerns all over the world. We can all help...

http://www.coalitionagainstmisery.com/

Re: We Can All Help

We can all help by not selling to unknown people from underdeveloped countries.

We can all help by not selling to unknown people. Period. No matter where they are from.

Re: Re: We Can All Help

I don't know why kennel clubs around the world cannot ban the export of dogs to China, Korea, Philippines etc. There is no need for anybody to send dogs to countries that routinely abuse companion animals. I would also like to see a boycott of the Beijing Olympics by all animal lovers. Top ranking government officials in China still dine on dog meat in rstaurants such as The Dog King in Beijing. Breeders who export to countries like this don't seem to care about the torture that dogs undergo in the meat and fur trade. Live skinning, beatings, slow hangings, boiling alive in vats - all part of China and Korea's "animal welfare" system. Shame on anybody who supplies them with more dogs to torture and destroy.

Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

We know of some excellent owners and breeders of Labradors in the Philippines. I am embarrassed that they are insulted in such blanket statements on this Forum. It is not fair to make negative statements about Labrador breeders just because of the country they are from. Hopefully the people that raised you, taught you that each person should be judged individually and not by the color of their skin or their religion.. same is the case for each Labrador breeder.

Re: Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

But don't you see that by sending dogs to countries like this that you are silently endorsing the dog trade in those countries? If all breeders refused to deal with dog abusing nations then maybe the responsible breeders in those particular countries might be forced into pushing their governments for better animal welfare practices. Power to the people etc.

By selling dogs to countries like those, you are stuffing your bank accounts while ignoring the terrific need for decent animal welfare. It's all well and good that there are some decent breeders who love their dogs, but that's not enough. It won't be enough to justify our selling over there for years to come. This has been going on for years and it is largely ignored except by a few.

Thank you Ms. Jennifer Kelly for not generalizing and I am sorry that some anonymous posters here only see the world as black and white. There are many nice people there as there are venomous anonymous posters here!

we have Michael Vick. Don't ship dogs to the US either.

Unfortunately sad to say these people spewing their venom in the guise of anonymity are the very same people whose capacity for complex mental thinking are sadly lacking and we should just take their generalizations as a reflection of their unfortunate mental state!

>>But don't you see that by sending dogs to countries like this that you are silently endorsing the dog trade in those countries? If all breeders refused to deal with dog abusing nations then maybe the responsible breeders in those particular countries might be forced into pushing their governments for better animal welfare practices. Power to the people etc.>>

I agree, wholeheartedly with your post, but there are other ways to try and help the animals other than reprimanding breeders who sell their dogs to breeders in countries like the Phillipines, which is why I posted the link in my previous post. If we all do something to help, we CAN make a difference. Like you said, "Power to the people." (I do wonder though, if these breeders in countries that eat and abuse dogs try to do anything to stop what is barbaric and just plain disgusting. Those poor dogs were packed in a crate in 110 degree temperatures with their muzzles tied shut so they couldn't even pant). Just awful.

I must agree with Jennifer Kelly. There are wonderful breeders in all countries as well as tremendous tragedies. If we adopt, as earlier stated, a "black and white" mentality, we will be replicating PETA. They too are unable to see the whole picture and would prefer to unreasonably oppose what we see as wonderful. Time to start seeing the shades of gray and just focus on what you truly feel must be stopped. Banning the sale of dogs to good people in the Phillipines, India, etc. is not the way.

>>we have Michael Vick. Don't ship dogs to the US either.>>

What Michael Vick did in this country is illegal, the abuse going on in the Phillipines is legal. Big difference. Sorry, there may be good breeders with wonderful intentions there, but, no way would I consider shipping a dog there unless what is considered humane in that country (and others) changes.

According to the article about in the original post, the trade IS ILLEGAL in the Philippines, but still done, just as dog fighting is still done in the U.S. and other countries.

The problem, as stated in the article, is that the fines are not high enough to discourage. It is the dogs roaming on the streets and owned by poor people that are swindled into selling their dogs for a small amount of money, not realizing what will happen to them. Local animal welfare organizations, along side with responsible breeders condemmed by some of you without any knowledge of what they do, are working to stop the illegal practice!

What about the article on the same web site describing the problem with dog fighting in the UK? Should we stop importing British dogs until they get a better handle on that issue? Should responsible breeders in the U.S. stop breeding because of the overpopulation problem of dogs in general? Think of all the dogs put down each year in the U.S. and yet we still breed. The vast majority in pounds don't come from responsible breeders yet still, the problem exists from others, so do you believe we should therefore be clumped with the irresponsible and be forced to quit our hobby?

As Jennifer said, blanket statements condemming all instead of individuals, is not only unfair, but not wise.

Um, if it's legal, why are the trucks raided????

Re: Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

Um...they eat dog meat over there, is that illegal? My point is what is considered humane in other parts of the world is a far cry from what we believe here. Dogs are euthanized here everyday, too many for sure, but humanely putting a dog down and how it's done in other countries is a totally different thing. I didn't read far enough into the article because what I saw and read was hard enough to view and comprehend. My mistake. The fact is, in this country there is no dog trade, legal or illegal, because we don't eat dogs here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

"The fact is, in this country there is no dog trade, legal or illegal, because we don't eat dogs here."

We don't eat dogs in the U.S., but have you ever visited or heard of legal puppy mills or certain pet shops where the dogs are kept in horrid condition? Dogs that are kept in very unhumane conditions, yet it is allowed to persist?

Most people in the Philippines do not eat dogs. It is not a cultural thing. Just by reading that one article, you can find that out. Instead of just speaking with passion, educate yourself. Talk with respected breeders from abroad. Read unbiased sources. Learn to speak with both intelligence and passion. That combination will make your words carry more weight.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

>>We don't eat dogs in the U.S., but have you ever visited or heard of legal puppy mills or certain pet shops where the dogs are kept in horrid condition? Dogs that are kept in very unhumane conditions, yet it is allowed to persist? Most people in the Philippines do not eat dogs. It is not a cultural thing. Just by reading that one article, you can find that out. Instead of just speaking with passion, educate yourself. Talk with respected breeders from abroad. Read unbiased sources. Learn to speak with both intelligence and passion. That combination will make your words carry more weight.>>

Have you ever heard of the AKC who continues to register the dogs produced in puppymills and commercial kennels and dog owners across the country continue to support?
I did read it's not a cultural thing in the Phillipines, but they still eat dog meat, if they didn't, there would be no need to confiscate dogs to kill. It does sound like they are trying to make some changes.The dog trade is one of many abuse issues that needs to be addressed, which is what the link posted is all about. As for speaking with foreign breeders, I have no interest, whatsoever, in sending my dogs out of the country, and that my friend, is spoken with passion. How much weight my words carry is not the issue, actual photos of abuse speaks volumes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We Can All Help

Have you ever wondered what would become of Labs you export to the Philippines, China, Korea etc if they needed to be rehomed? What if the original purchaser died or needed to give up dogs due to illness? Would you be happy to see your dog being passed along to goodness knows who or where? It might pass through a string of ever more unsuitable homes before ending up on a meat/fur breeding farm. I know of a breeder who exported a Labrador to the Philippines (to a breeder) and this dog has disappeared. The purchaser disposed of her to persons unknown. Despite intensive searching and questioning of the original buyer this poor girl has vanished. Please think of the potential consequences before you export to countries that have no animal welfare codes to protect companion animals (especially China).