Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scared in Idaho - Labs being taken for suspected dog fighting/drug testing (long)

Hi Everyone,

The president of another Idaho KC sent this newspaper article to me as she knew I had labs and lived relatively close (150 miles) to the area in the newspaper article below.

Needless to say, I am very scared. I am thinking about moving my kennels and installing some sort of security alarm. I am open to suggestions as I work all day and live out in the country. Good grief - whats a person to do short of crating your dogs in the house all day and only letting them out when you are home?

Also wanted to post the article as a heads up and reminder to all, no matter where you are, this type of filth, crime and cruelty is spreading everywhere.

Valerie Jones
JonValer Labradors - Idaho

By WHITNEY ROYSTER
Star-Tribune staff writer
JACKSON -- A rash of dog disappearances has dog owners on alert in northwest Wyoming, particularly in Lincoln County.

Mary Ann Ahrens with the Animal Humane Association of Star Valley said there have been between 12 and 14 dogs taken from cars and yards from Smoot to Alpine since early August. All the dogs are Labrador retrievers.

"It's getting bad," Ahrens said. "These dogs are just disappearing."

On Aug. 10, a family was visiting Alpine from Nebraska and brought their 5-month-old black Lab puppy, Izzy. While eating in a Mexican restaurant at the junction of Alpine and the Snake River Canyon, a worker at the restaurant saw a young man smash a window of the car, take the dog and run away, Ahrens said.

The last case was last week at the same restaurant, Ahrens said. Other dogs have been taken out of the back of pickup trucks, from inside cars, from yards, and in one case, from a cable in the Snake River Canyon.

Ahrens said she doesn't know why Labs are being targeted. In one instance, there were two dogs in a yard -- a Lab and a border collie -- and only the Lab
was taken.

She said she doesn't think the animals are taken for hunting, as older dogs and puppies are being stolen.

Some have speculated the dogs are being taken to be used as "bait" in dogfighting rings. In late August, an alleged dogfighting ring was busted in
Malad, Idaho, about 50 miles south of Idaho Falls.

Ahrens said this might make sense, as Labs are friendly and will "go with anybody."

She said there is speculation the dogs are being used by methamphetamine dealers, who will shoot the dogs up with meth and if the dogs die, they know
it's not a "good" batch. That is just hearsay, Ahrens said.

Teton County sheriff's Capt. Jim Whalen said he has heard about the thefts, but has not heard of any occurring in Teton County. He said his department is
not doing anything specifically to address the possibility of dog thefts, and the media attention the issue has received "has been sufficient for people to
be watchful of their pets."

Alpine Police Chief James Phillips said he, too, has heard of the cases but does not have any reports in his office.

Lincoln County Sheriff Shane Johnson did not return repeated calls for comment this week.

Ahrens said people should be vigilant about watching their pets.

"There's a reason they're taking these dogs," she said. "I'm trying to get the word out there to watch your dogs. A lot of people just leave them in the back
of the truck."

One victim left his dog tied to a tree in the Snake River Canyon while he kayaked down the river, and when he came back, the dog was gone.

Rewards have been offered for several of the missing dogs.

Wyoming and Idaho are the only two states in the country where dogfighting is not a felony.

A dogfighting conviction in Idaho can carry a penalty of up to six months in jail and a $5,000 fine. In Wyoming, punishment can be up to one year in jail
and a $5,000 fine.

Reporter Whitney Royster can be reached at (307) 734-0260 or at
royster@tribcsp.com.

Re: Scared in Idaho - Labs being taken for suspected dog fighting/drug testing (long)

I would have taken a dog in a heartbeat if I found it tied to a tree in the woods with no owner around.

And if I saw a puppy in a car on a hot day I would smash the window and get it out.

It's a lot of speculation as to why these dogs are being taken, IF they are actually being taken and haven't just escaped or gotten lost.

Maybe there is a new hopeful designer/rare breed entrepreneur starting a new business... And the article says nothing about checking shelters, putting up fliers, microchipping, or how irresponsible it is to leave a dog tied to a tree and just leave.

I certainly wouldn't consider moving because 12-14 unsupervised Labs are missing. The article is written to stir up hysteria.

Re: Re: Scared in Idaho - Labs being taken for suspected dog fighting/drug testing (long)

Oh I agree - some of these labs, if not all, were probably not very well supervised. But, we do have a very large meth problem in Idaho and with it dog fighting. It just makes me sick and worried. I am re-evaluating my setup and will probably move my kennels, post signs and install some video cameras.

Valerie