Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Innova Evo????

I have been feeding my 16 month old bitch Innova large breed dog. I just got a puppy(yippee!!) and I have been feeding Innova large breed puppy, but I noticed the the Innova Evo and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. I know protein is a good thing, but the protein in this food is very high. Just looking for opinions. All thoughts appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Innova Evo????

Innova EVO is a great food, but it is not recommended for puppies. Wait until they are at least 18-24 months of age to feed EVO.

Congratulations on the puppy!

I just switched a 5 year old bitch to Evo last week due to yucky ears. Her ears are already improved and she seems to love the food.

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: Innova Evo????

Hi!

I've been feeding Evo for quite awhile. My dogs do well on it. Firm poops and not as much.

Donna

I've been feeding EVO to my 4 year old male for 2 years. He does great on it..but it's a rich food and you have to watch how much you feed because they can gain weight real fast on it. My boy get's 1 c. twice a day...he's extremely active (field bred) and a very svelt 85 lbs. I feed my 7 month old Innova Large Breed Adult...and doubt that I will ever switch him to EVO because he's show bred, very food motivated and I think that he would probably pack on the pounds with the food.

I would not recommend feeding EVO to a dog before it turns two. Innova does not recommend it either.

Again, be careful with how much you feed. I love the food and the results it's given to me and my boy.

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I might stick to Innova large breed dog for my 16 month old and Innova puppy for my 10 week old. Have a Great Day!!

I tried it with a couple of my adults and the only issue they had was constipation.

I'm in the process of switching over from Innova large breed to EVO. I'm taking my time switching because it is so rich.

Been switching for about ten days so far. Wanted to try it because of slight ear issues. Cleaned my girl's ears two days ago. They were actually quite pristine...I was surprised...although I am still getting some itching but that may be seasonal.

Re: Re: Re: Innova Evo????

The problem with feeding Evo to puppies is not the richness or the protein content: it is the high calcium content.
If you want to feed a grain-free food to your puppy, there are lots of grain-free foods on the market that have a more reasonable calcium content and can be safely fed to puppies. Look at Orijen Puppy if you wish to go grain-free

I tried it with my 8 year old girl and all I got was the trots...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I tried it with a couple of my adults and the only issue they had was constipation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Innova Evo????

Actually from my research, Orijen is the ONLY grain free with suitable calcium levels for puppies. NV's Rabbit Instinct is close with 1.82% but I wouldn't feed it to a youngster. I heard the magic number is 1.5% calcium.

I have a pup in a home on Evo from 12 months (recommended age by the food manufacturer) and she is doing great on it.

The Nat.Var. Instinct Rabbit originally stated 1.12% calcium which I was excited about as I feed the Chick to my older dogs and was planning on the Rabbit for my next litter. But then they changed it to 1.82 and i agree its too hi for pups under 1 year of age.

I know breeders feeding pups Orijen and they are doing great on it.