Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Garlic products

Is anyone using Bug Off or any other garlic product for their dog's flea/tick protection, and if so, how bad does it make the dog smell? I mean, is the garlic smell noticeable? TIA

Re: Garlic products

I have been giving mine garlic for the last 4 or 5 months and it seems to be working pretty good... no bad smell on the dogs at all, I use the human garlic pills at a dose of 1,300mg a day.
Aloha,
jackie

I used the powder garlic especially for dogs (not sure if it was called Bug Off). One of my dogs slowed down her eating because of it, which wasn't a bad thing! The others didn't even notice it. The dogs themselves did not smell but my whole house smelled like garlic when I opened the jar! I like the smell but it drove my husband nuts. Not really sure it worked - our tick season was so bad in the spring I had to put on Frontline anyway - but a half a dose seemed to worked so maybe the combination of the garlic and a little Frontline was OK.

Thanks, girls.

Yes, I use the Bug Off. No the dogs don't smell. However, you can smell it thru the house in the morning for a little while.

You mean like Anna mentioned? When you open the container?

2 dogs playing in a field for about an hour.

My sisters do on Bug Off Garlic - the other dog is not.

No ticks on my sisters dog. Other dog had 36 ticks.

I have heard that the dogs breath may smell of garlic until the body learns to break it down properly.

Thanks, Patty.