Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Selling puppies. Do you give all copies of paperwork?

When selling a pup to pet people do you give copies of all clarances to pet people? If not why? I have had pet people ask to see clearances. People seem to be more and more educated. But there are others that don't seem to care.

Re: Selling puppies. Do you give all copies of paperwork?

Yes and the Vets always seem to like it.

Re: Re: Selling puppies. Do you give all copies of paperwork?

I give copies of the clearances, pictures of parents, handouts on potty training, crate training, etc. Bill of sale, instructions and a health certificate from my vet with a record of shots given and worming. I put it in a notebook.

Absolutely I do. OFA/CERF or ACVO, Optigen, Pedigree, and individual health certificate on pup. This does not include all the other information that goes with it another OP mentioned as well. Yes, vets just love it and it's nice to hear "my vet said he/she does not often see a breeder of this caliber and so thorough"

ALWAYS! AND MORE..

I used to give them copies but with them putting the OFA and CERF clearances on the puppy papers no need to do that anymore, the optigen is just a bonus and if they want to see that then I show it to them. I do give instructions on care and the copies of the contract when they pick up the pup. They cannot take home the AKC papers as I send that in myself to make sure they can't change anything but they will get the final papers when transferred in their names.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Selling puppies. Do you give all copies of paperwork?

I give them copys of the clearances they understand. Not maybe Optigen and don't give copys of titles like some do ? But the puppy kit is full of information. Obedience classes, pictures of parents, how to judge when to up the food, etc. And yes, the vets are always impressed.

No, not actual photocopies. The certification numbers appear in my written replacement gurantee but I do have the orignals on hand for people to view. Why don't I make photocopies? Well my puppy package is over 20 pages of literature and most of my buyers have been content with the proof I offer them and the numbers they are given. If they do want copies, I just zip up to the office and photocopy.

Do they read it all? Another story but they deserve all, we have! Then again some don't have all and they know who they are.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

When selling a pup to pet people do you give copies of all clarances to pet people? If not why? I have had pet people ask to see clearances. People seem to be more and more educated. But there are others that don't seem to care.

For those that breed without all clearences. What do they tell puppy buyers who ask for paperwork then? Wonder how they are selling litters?

They lie and it's disgusting. "oh it's in the mail", or "oh I have not received it"... grrrrrrr. LOL or how about "I've never had a problem with a dog it's not necessary" HAHAHAHAHAH

Re: Re: Re: Selling puppies. Do you give all copies of paperwork?

I think they give them the prelimbs whats wrong with that?

We tell people whether they buy from us or someone else, number one be comfortable with your breeder, do your homework, and insist on seeing clearances. We also tell them if the breeder can't or won't produce clearances don't accept any excuses. No need to get nasty, but just leave. We go to some pretty great lengths to educate our puppy buyers, and yes they get a full packet of everything we have plus some. We also send a copy home of How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With by Clarice Rutherford and David Neil. Clare is a member of our club and sometimes depending on schedules we can get the autographed.

I give copies of all clearances whether they ask for it or not. I show the clearances when they come to meet the pups and copies go home in their puppy pack along with copies of pedigree, instructions on feeding, crate training, house training, etc. etc.

I also spend a lot of time educating people on all of this and how to do their research, homework and questions to be sure and ask. I also tell them if a breeder seems put out by their questions, thank them for their time and move on.

Yes, I make photo copies of the parents' certifications and include in the puppy packet/binder.

Since the OFA site is so nice and one page, I just print the dog's summary page off OFA, so that is 2 pages total. When I was doing the actual certificates it was getting to be quite a bit of paper. If CERF is not registered with CERF so it won't appear of ofa, I copy the eye form as supplement. Then a pedigree from us with parents pics on it and a 'how to' guide for puppies and the sales contract.

Forgot to mention that I also give a health cert. from my vet on pups at 8 weeks which could include, recessed vulva, undecended testicle, herniated umbilical and the like.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Live and learn.