Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wine Country---Parvo

For those of you going to Wine Country, I received a message from a friend that there is parvo in the area. The vet 6 miles from the show site has treated 5 dogs in the last 2 weeks.

Please make sure your dog's vaccinations are current.

Permission to cross post.

Re: Wine Country---Parvo

How sad... Don't bring pups in any case... Or any unentered dogs if you can.

Have a great time - I'll be home this year!

How unusual is that - to have that many cases?

How likely is it that you could bring it home to small puppies, even if you take precautions - like washing shoes and clothes and not letting the show dogs go to the area where the mom and babies are?

Is it at the shows anyway - only we don't always know it?

Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

This is the e-mail that I got. Sounds like the same one that Gail got as well:

This warning came to me from a member of the GSP List. If you know anyone else who might be going that I didn't send this to, please feel free to pass it on.

For all going to the Wine Country circuit shows be aware that there is parvovirus in that approximate area and take the appropriate precautions. The vet practice where I work is less than 6 miles from the State park and we have been treating parvo cases all summer. We have had 5 cases in the last 2 weeks. The area has a large concentration of Amish puppy mills.....although the majority of our cases are not from those sources.

Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

I don't think it's worth it now....maybe staying home afterall!

I just wanted to add that there have been several adult dogs with confirmed parvo. We typically think of this virus affecting puppies under 4-5 months of age and unvaccinated dogs. However, there have been several cases reported in adult dogs, and some of these vaccinated adults have died.

Here are some points to remember:
A dog infected with Parvo can shed the virus, ie. is contagious, for up to 3 weeks after recovering.

Parvo stays in the environment for long periods of time (6 months) and is resistant to heat/sunlight/freeze/detergents. (use bleach)

Parvo can be transferred via shoes, clothing, etc. - any inanimate object.

So, don't panic but be vigilant.

Ruth

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

Thanks for expanding on this thread Ruth as I too recieved notice from a field GSP person in the area about this issue. While I remarked it much won't affect me with no puppies at home or of an age to worried anyway, the fact that some adult dogs have been lost does have the warning bells on now. I will be taking some precautionery actions:)

My ten year old male just had symptoms of what I believe was parvo. I worked in a vet clinic years ago and once you see and smell parvo, you don't forget it. I'm not sure how he contracted it other than I recently had my other boy vaccinated. He had violent, bloody vomiting and bloody diarrhea. I put pedialyte in his water, but not much of anything was helping. I read on the internet about colloidial silver and how veterinarians are starting to use it for parvo. I happen to have some in my medicine cabinet and started giving it to him. It worked like a miracle. It has to be good colloidial silver, pure and crystal clear like water. Honestly, I believe it saved his life. I used Sovereign Silver, 10 ppm and I will never be without it again. Do a little research and see what you think.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

Tamiflu to have on hand although by rx from the vet would be smart. I'm sure there is information already on the forum of this.. just wanted to remind everyone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

I have a bitch at home who is 5 weeks pregnant. Could the dog I have entered, bring it home to her?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

I'm not as concerned about the dogs that are entered at the show, but what about all those unenterd dogs that the spectators bring in, and there are a lot of them. Is there any way of stopping them. A lot of them are locals.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

Please read Dr. Ruth's post above again. She describes how this is transferred.

So you are saying that it can be transmitted through shoes, clothing etc BUT NOT via my dogs I am showing and then bringing home to live with Mama dog and her 5 babies? All drink from the same water bowl, potty in the same yard...lick and sleep together.

I don't think you could rule it out at all. It is very possible if you or your dog come across the parvo virus. The problem is, you can NEVER be sure you aren't picking it up at your local supermarket.
you have do what you think is best for you and your own dogs and take precautions as necessary.

I carry bleach with me every where I go! My hands stay a nice dry all year round because I squirt diluted bleach in hand several times a day, I give a squirt ont the concrete the minute the dogs jump out of the truck.

I'm sorry if I was not clear but it most certainly can be transmitted from dog to dog - it's shed in feces, and transmittance is fecal-oral. Say a dog with parvo defecates and in so doing, deposits fecal material on the ground. Dog number 2 walks over that area, and then licks its feet. Once ingested, he can pass it on if another dog lickes his mouth, or by shedding the virus in its feces. And so the cycle continues...

Since the repercussins of parvo lasts weeks after is there a food recommended for a very sensitive stomach?

What about the age old question of showing the bite yourself? Can the show chairs explain the situation and ask the judges to request that the bite be shown by the person handling the dog--not just allow it but request it?

Oh my.

Take it from someone whose dog just experienced parvo, it's not worth the risk. Even if your dog does survive it, which thankfully, mine did...it is such an insult to the intensines it will be months, and maybe never, that he will be 100%. Vaccines are NOT full proof, what works for one may not for another. To knowingly expose your dog to such a horrible virus for a dog show is inexcusable.

After having been there my self and lost pups due to paro, I would not go any where near a known parvo area. I am scared to death over it and I will not risk it again.
No show is worth the possible loss of pups. When I go to shows now it is ONLY if I have no one at home with pups or pregnant. Yes it can cut donw on my showing but I won't ever risk those little lives that God allows me to have.
JMO

Could someone comment on the occurance of parvo - say on a yearly basis. Is this a severe outbreak, or is it in the normal realm of what a vet reports?

I do take precautions after going to a show, but this situation is sounding like higher risk than normal?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

Hi Been There...what does 10 ppm stand for in dosage terms ??

I know in our area there is a region that each Summer has so many more Parvo cases than anywhere else you hear of. Is it there all year and the heat just makes the area have more outbreaks ? I know I try to stay away from the area all Summer. Know it is everywhere but also know it does get more concentrated in some spots for what reason, I do not have a clue. Have not heard of grown dogs at all.
Know there has been alot more diarrhea and throwing up with some grown dogs. Like the grud stuff going around. But this is not out your way at all. Sorry you have to worry about that.

I talked to my local vet, this morning, and he said it would be a good idea to give youngsters under 2 years of age a parvo booster as a precaution.

I have already made an apptmt for the young dogs to have their boosters, but it won't be in time for the show. I also have 6 wk old litter.

"I used Sovereign Silver, 10 ppm and I will never be without it again."

How much did you give daily? did you double dose initially?

I have colloidal silver (the good clear type) but it is 5 ppm. Would that work I wonder if given in higher dose than 10?

Just like to be prepared if I god forbid ever have a case of Parvo.

>>I used Sovereign Silver, 10 ppm and I will never be without it again." How much did you give daily? did you double dose initially? I have colloidal silver (the good clear type) but it is 5 ppm. Would that work I wonder if given in higher dose than 10?
Just like to be prepared if I god forbid ever have a case of Parvo.>>

From what it states in their information it says, "With silver products, the smaller the particle size, the greater its energy. Sovereign Silver contains the smallest silver particles, proven smaller than others. For silver concentration 10 ppm, I have the 4 oz. size bottle, I gave him one dropperful in the am and one in the pm. Adult dosage recommendation is 5 droppers or more daily.
I had made a call to my vet, it was on a Thursday, when he was closed. My boy was so sick I gave him the colloidial silver thinking what do I have to lose, I knew the outcome wasn't good. I gave him a dose, put his water and blanket in my garage (there was no way I could leave him in the house) and had to go to work. I came home for lunch and didn't see him. I thought, Oh my God, where is he. (I have a large fenced yard). I started walking around the property looking for him. All of a sudden he came walking out of the garage wagging his tail. I couldn't believe it. I just started to cry. To leave him as depressed as I did and (I didn't want to leave him, believe me) to see the difference just four hours later was nothing short of miraculous and of course, colloidial silver. I can't speak for any other brand other than Sovereign Silver 10 ppm because that's what I used. This was approx. three weeks ago and he's doing fine, but I still have to watch his diet very carefully, he's been on hamburger and rice pretty much ever since.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wine Country---Parvo

>>Hi Been There...what does 10 ppm stand for in dosage terms ??>>

10 ppm is the concentration, but according to what I've read it's not about concentration, it's about particle size and particle charge. The smaller the silver particle, the more powerful it's energy. I'm no expert, I can only attest that it works.

Thanks so much for your response.

I could cry right along with you readig what you experienced.

i have been thru this with still born pups and using magnets so I know what that "miracle" feels like.

Thanks so much for sharing.

if you would be so inclined to email me privately as to the source where you get your CS or post it here it would be much appreciated.

Where is the Wine Country circuit?

Thurs, Fri (Specialty), Sat&Sun

Patty - I buy it at my local health food store here in Florida. If yours doesn't carry it, maybe they will order it for you. Thank you for your kind words. I prayed and asked to please make him better or take him. That's how bad it was. It's terrible to watch and feel so helpless.