Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grape toxicity?

I've been thinking about this grape toxicity issue ever since the post appeared several weeks ago, and now it has come up again. Frankly, I'm puzzled because, for almost 20 years, I have been living with my Labs on a property boasting several grapevines. I was not aware there might be any danger, so I allowed the Labs to eat whatever grapes they could reach. Most of my vines are Concords. No one has gotten ill, and you know that Labs will pig out on sweet things if given the opportunity. Now that I am aware of the problem, I'm keeping them away from the vines as much as possible, just to be safe. I don't disbelieve the postings about dogs that suffered kidney damage and even died. But I can't help thinking that there is something else going on. Are all dogs poisoned by grapes, or are the ones that succumb perhaps unable to make an enzyme that breaks down a component in grapes? Or maybe they possess an enzyme that converts something in grapes to a toxin. Anyone have any further insights- have your dogs eaten alot of grapes and suffered no ill effects? My grapes are ripe right now, and the apples that the dogs have been eating in prference to the grapes are almost gone, so this has become a pressing issue for me. BTW, my grape eaters have, without exception, lived to be 13 or 14 and have died from cancer, effects of strokes, etc., and none have needed kidney medication.

Please, no one tell me that apples are toxic. I know the seeds contain cyanide, but they go right through, as does most of the apple. Sigh!

Re: Grape toxicity?

I'm curious too. We live in the middle of a HUGE vineyard and the dogs occasionally snack on merlot, chardonnay, petit sirah and the other varietals. They all have eaten Thompson seedless right of off the vine that drapped into their kennel. This was all before I learned of the toxicity issues. We have never, knock on wood, experienced a kidney problem. They are very healthy. Who gets sick from grapes?

not sure if this is going to help, but i had my dog on grape seed extract for about two years. it was prescribed by his vet for his alg problem, before i decided to stop it and go for a more traditional form of action.

adam

Re: Re: Grape toxicity?

forgot to add that he never had any probs while on it. i found out a couple years later, actually by one of the docs at my work about grapes and dogs not mixing.

adam

I live in the middle of wine country and have occasion to visit all of the wineries in the area. I'd say 95% of them have dogs...more than one...most are Labs. They spend their days wandering in the vineyards and all have been there for numerous years. The same goes for apple orchards in the area.

Re: Re: Grape toxicity?

Very sadly, a good friend of mine took his dog (that he got from me) hunting as he had done for years.....the dog wandered into a vineyard and ate grapes. My friend hadn't heard of grape toxicity and neither had any of his hunting partners - one of which was a Dr. and by the next day when the poor girl was very very sick it was too late to save her....