Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeding mother and pups poor diet

Do you feel if mom and pups were fed poor diet for pregnancy and until they go to homes that they will have more of a chance of developing poor hips? Have there been studies?

Re: Feeding mother and pups poor diet

Do you feel if mom and pups were fed poor diet for pregnancy and until they go to homes that they will have more of a chance of developing poor hips?

Absolutely!

Have there been studies?

www.shetland.fi/hipdyspl.html
I am not sure if this link will work for you, I could not get it to work this time.

Also, you could try doing a google search for Pottenger's Cats: A study in nutrition.

Re: Feeding mother and pups poor diet

http://www.springtimeinc.com/t_DogFreshFoods_info

Re: Re: Feeding mother and pups poor diet

My vet and I were just talking about this a while back. She said she remembered years ago a study done on a group of labradors there were know to produce dysplasia. They split the group in half, bred them and the only change made was that one group was given cosequin and the other group was not. Both groups were bed the same and fed/cared for the same. The conclusion was that the group that got nothing continued to produce bad hips, the other group only a few dogs with bad hips were produced.

So the answer to the question is that I beleive that hips are 50% genetic and 50% nutririon. How else can you get any dog that CAN produce dysplasia.

This is just my opinion but I feed joint supplement and good quality food to pregnant gilrs and to pups.

Re: Re: Re: Feeding mother and pups poor diet

I think ownership plays a hand too. People not educated on over exercising their dogs have problematic canines.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeding mother and pups poor diet

Diet and Exercise play a part in Elbow Dysplasia, so why not Hip Dysplasia.