Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whelping How long is too long?

How long is too long to wait between puppies being born?

Where can I get info to send to my vet? I am so sick of arguing with them over whelping and now after what happened Friday, have decided search for a vet in close in my area that knows whelping! And that will listen to me!!!!

Re: Whelping How long is too long?

Hours and hours - depends on if mom is laboring/pushing or just taking a rest. A listen to the pups heartbeat is a good decision maker. If the heart is going fine and mom is ok, it's fine to wait.

And as for vets - that's something you have to get set up very early. I wouldn't even consider a vet who wouldn't let me participate in a c-sec by helping revive puppies, and who wouldn't listen to my instincts on whether we need pit or to go ahead with the section. And I wouldn't consider one that wouldn't give me his home and cell phone numbers for her due date. If I can help it, I will never go to one of those emergency veterinary "try to kill dam and pup" clinics.

Re: Whelping How long is too long?

I agree that it can be hours and definitely there is a difference between a mom sleeping/resting and pushing. I have experienced 4-6 hours in between with nothing happening other then my being bored and saying "come one let's go" LOL. Obviously if there is pushing going on this is totally different. I also agree I would not work with a vet that did not allow me to partake in a C that was needed. That relationship with vet is key in so much of what we do and love.

Re: Re: Whelping How long is too long?

choose your vet like you would your own doctor!
Communication, trust, availability, and faith in the vet's GOOD JUDGEMENT are crucial...AND don't forget good 'bedside manner'!!!! Don't settle for anything less!!!

gcb, md

Re: Re: Re: Whelping How long is too long?

Hi!

I would never have a vet that wouldn't give me a cell or home number. My poor vet got woke up 2 0r 3 times
in the middle of the night when I had questions.
My girls whelping went OK, but I had to make sure I was doing the right things.
There should be one that is willing to listen to you and work with you.
What happened on Fri?

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whelping How long is too long?

Some bitches are slow whelpers without complications, if she's not distressed or straining i'd let her go but if she is straining then one hour and i'd be at the vets.
Aloha,
jackie