Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you name your pet pups?

Do you name your pet pups before they go home or do you let the pet buyer name them what they want after your kennel name prefix?

Re: Do you name your pet pups?

I haven't bred yet, but what I'd like to do is to choose the registered name, fill out the form and send it in. Then I'd include the registration in the puppy price :)

Puppy buyer can then call the puppy whatever they want - so what if the puppy's 'real' name doesn't somehow relate to the reg.name? It's not like they'll ever use the reg. name anyway, but I'd prefer not to have a dog out there registered as "XXX Cujo" or something stupid like that.

Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

I've had puppies come back that I've decided to show and they had stupid names. Being a Canadian breeder we register all our puppies anyhow so I just come up with all the names and then there's no problems.

Re: Do you name your pet pups?

We let them name the pup, unless the pup stays with us for longer then 10 weeks then we do come up with a name. We usually call them all pup-pup till then.

Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

I let my puppy people name their own dogs. I end up calling most that stay a bit longer Pee Wee and Hey U!!

Re: Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

This is a good question since I would like to have all my puppies registered (limited). I suppose I will discuss it with the puppy buyers and see if they want to come up with a name or if they want me to do it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

I don't know, they're already spending so much $$$$ for a quality pet puppy that has limited and probably have to spend even more because of a spay or neuter contract, why not let the family name their own dog, AKC name and all? As long as the kennel name is there, I don't see what's the harm. That's part of the fun of bringing your new puppy home I think.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

We are a regsistered kennel name with the AKC so our name goes on automatically as the prefix. Client can have their own registration name and call name after that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

I've always filled in my kennel name in each puppy reg papers and explain to the families that they leave a space and can fill in whatever name they want.

More times than not, they don't even send in the papers. This is the reason I always fill out the microchip forms and send it in for each family. They tend to forget the paper work in the excitement of bringing puppy home.

I do think if people are paying premium bucks for an AKC puppy, they do deserve the right to name their puppy what they want as long as the kennel name comes first. I also explain why breeders follow this protocal so they understand the importance.

I did put a nice show quality pupy in a pet home (friends of ours) and asked them if they wouldn't mind running the name by me first since I would want to show him later on. They actually came up with a really nice and clever AKC name.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you name your pet pups?

Good grief! I have enough trouble coming up with names for my keepers.

My kennel name is the first part of the name. The rest is up to the owner. I send in all the registrations myself. No funny business that way. So no name comes as a surprise. I have not had to, but I would balk if a name was really objectionable.