Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heat cycles and coat?

I have heard different thing regarding coat and heat cycles. Do your girls really have their best coats while in season? How soon after their season ends, do the blow their coat? Is there a hard and fast rule, or are all girls different?

My girl just had her season, has/had a wonderful full lush coat, and now seems to be losing it overnight. Will she have any coat next month?

TIA!

Re: Heat cycles and coat?

Yes it's true that most bitches are in their best coats when they are heat. I find that they tend to lose that coat about 2 months after their heat, which would correspond with them whelping about that time should they have been bred.

Dianne

my young 18 month old girl has lost her entire coat in the last 10 days at the exact same time she came into season. I don't think there are any "golden rules" here.

Most of our girls do have the best coats when coming into heat, but the Summer coats are not as nice as the Spring coats. I find that they look good for about 2 months.

Wish there were a hard and fast rule relating to coats and heat cycles. I've had some that held their coats long after their heat cycles and others who were out of coat for an entire year. By that time, I'm always thinking that she'll never come back and all of a sudden she's in gorgeous coat. Hormones, weather, food .... are probably all an influence. One thing is for sure. As soon as you send your entry fee in, they start blowing.

I don't disagree with what anyone else has said. It depends on the bitch. When they start to blow is variable. If you try cold water hosings, sometimes they will hold on to their coat longer.