Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Registration for puppy buyer

I asked for advise here about a week ago and wanted to let everyone know what I found out from the AKC.

I had a pet puppy buyer go against my contract and online register without using my registered kennel name as the first part of the puppys name. Also, the puppy was registered as full instead of limited.

The AKC employee I taled to suggests I cut out the 3 digit code so the puppy buyer could never see the code from underneath my filling in that space with a pen. This way the pup has to be registered as limited.

Also, I should cut out the 5 digit code for online registration. This way the puppy buyer cannot reister online. If I sign my name for permission to use my registered kennel name, and someone scratches out my kennel name and renames the puppys first name, the AKC wont register the pupy as they can see its altered.

Maybe this is a good way to register puppys instead of collecting from the buyers and sending in myself.

Re: Registration for puppy buyer

I would like to know how many breeders fill out the forms for their clients and send them in--either by mail or electronically? Seems to me it would solve a lot of problems--use of kennel name, proper status (limited versus full), plus no chance of losing the registration papers in the mail, etc.

I am seriously considering doing the regs on-line for all the pups/dogs now.

MK

Re: Re: Registration for puppy buyer

I send in all the reg papers for my puppy people. They make the check out to AKC, tell me what they want the dog to be registered as, who to be registered to and then I have them sign the papers before they leave with the puppy.

I then fill everything out over the weekend and usually have them in the envelope ready to go to AKC by Monday.

Since I've been doing this, nobody has changed anything on the papers and nobody has lost their papers.

I keep track of all the registered names so I can tell future puppy buyers whether or not someone has already used that name.

I do the same as Laura... I also enroll them in AKC's Companion Animal Recovery. I tell them to bring check(s) made out to AKC.

CKC here- i fill in the paperwork, I mail it in, and I pay for the registration. pups imported into the US have their forms partially filled out , they complete and sign- and they can mail that in with their own cheque.

One thing with CKC - whiting out or scratching out anything on a CKC form REQUIRES a fully detailed letter of explanation with signature from breeder.

all i's dotted and t's crossed as some might say

Re: Re: Re: Registration for puppy buyer

yes i haven't had a problem the other way. But this litter I'm sending in the papers with there money and signature and my stamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration for puppy buyer

wouldnt it be easier to just cut out the codes and not hassle with collecting names and checks and mailings?

Yes cutting out the code would seem easier.

The problem is those pups that go to pet homes and you have to keep on the buyer to get the pup registered.

I had one that basically said I really don't care so I registered the dog myself in their name and paid the fee.

Your basic pet buyer does not understand.

I want my pups registered - its important to me

I will be registering myself - in buyers name and collecting checks from buyers as other mentioned and if they don't come up with a name within a certain amount of time I will choose the registered name myself.

why would it matter to you if every one of your puppys is registered?

Re: Re: Re: Registration for puppy buyer

Puppy mills and BYB's produce unregistered puppies for pet stores, parking lot shoppers, etc.

I am producing quality Labradors and I want their heritage known.

That is why all my puppies are registered; I am proud of them and want folks to know where they came from ~ pedigree and kennel name.

Why wouldn't you want all yours registered?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration for puppy buyer

If someone is buying a pet puppy from me and it's going to be spayed or neutered and just their pet, I don't care if it is registered. It's their "pet". They can name it what they want and don't register it if they don't want to. All I care is that it is spayed/ neutered and well taken care of and loved a whole bunch!

I agree with Wag The Dog.

Also, a while back the AKC was considering letting some on line pet organization/puppy mill or the like (can't remember the name) to register all their pups with AKC. It was speculated that AKC was considering allowing this because registration numbers were down and they were not brining in as much money. If we, as breeders, don't bother to register our pet pups this whole thing could start up again.

In Canada all puppies MUST be registered by the breeder, this way, we get accurate numbers etc.

The figures the AKC releases every year is terribly misleading. There are probably 100,000 labradors each year who go unregistered, because puppy buyers and breeders don't care if they get registered.

If the AKC wanted to make some extra green, you would think they would mandate that breeders register their puppies...ALL of their puppies.