Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac 2008 judges are posted!

http://lrcp.com/specialty.shtml

Re: Potomac 2008 judges are posted!

Well, we know which handler will take the breed. But, winner's dog and winner's bitch should be a surprise.

Re: Re: Potomac 2008 judges are posted!

Just go and have fun and enjoy all of the beautiful Labradors - that's what it's all about, isn't it? If you're going to be as bitter as your post sounded, though, stay home, and don't rain on our parade!

That saves me a bunch of money!

don't rain on my parade! The sweepstakes judges alone are over the top!
Cannot wait! Love those two ladies who really know how to have FUN and oh, by the way just happen to have labradors....

Here is the URL for one of the judges:

http://d1693915.u46.surftown.se/

Well that made my mind up and saved me some money too

I was so surprised that not only was the judge the same as the 2006 national, but that it wasn't a judge from overseas. I've always looked forward to having foreign judges. At least I'll save money not entering my special.

I think some of you dine on nails. Stay home then, and we will have a clear view of the gorgeous quality dogs in the ring.

What is wrong with you people? If you don't like the judges, complain to the show committee, not here!

Why can't you keep your nasty opinions to yourself?

Sounds like a troll, repeat negative comments and low and behold getting a rise out of people! Judging panel looks good, and the ability to see wonderful dogs, old and new Labbie friends! What more could one ask? Ok so I will ask for no rain, lordy I have years worth of mud in my boots from wet Potomac shows!

James - that made me laugh!

Do any of you who are dissing Connie Barton know exactly what her history is in our breed? I believe she was the kennel manager for Springfield Kennels, the home of (among others) Ch. Kimvalley Picklewitch. If you want to see a lovely English bitch, look this one up. She knows Labrador type quite well, thank you very much.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the panel, just the breed judge.
At the end of the day we are paying for one judges opinion of our dogs and it appears (from the comments on this forum and even more off this forum) that this is a judge not many care to show their dogs to because she is perceieved as biased and favors certain handlers.
Having a kennel that owned one nice typey dog doesn't make one a good or fair judge. It would have been nice to have a new overseas judge.
We will see how many entries there are for the breed competition.

Springfield Kennels owned many more than "one nice typey dog". Anyway, I can see where this discussion is going so I'll quietly back off. Connie Barton gave 2 of my dogs majors from the bred-by class, and I'm the furthest thing from a "handler" on this forum.

Xhibitor - if you'll email me privately, when I get through the Specialty this weekend I will happily send you some information on Springfield Kennels. They were truly influential when active many years ago. As it is, I can't do much because of the anonymous post. Or, if you want to stay that way you'll have to do your own research.

Don't feel bad - a couple of years ago I heard someone with around 5 years experience ask, "Who is Sandylands?"

Hey Greg - I've got a better one for you. A couple weeks ago a Labrador "breeder" asked me if there were any Labrador breeders in Ohio? I should have educated but I was speechless.

I have to ditto what Greg Lynch said. Several years ago,one of our dogs got a 4 point major, owner handled, from Ms. Barton. She did not have a clue who the dog was nor us.

Not only will we be getting a clear view of the gorgeous dogs but we'll be there to see who actually came [wink wink]

Well, I for one have done my research on the breed judge years ago. I know the history behind her kennel and frankly, I'm looking forward to the entire 2008 Potomac panel.

BTW, I'm a bit of a nobody in the world of labradors and the breed judge put up one of my girls (owner handled) over handlers more than once. If you've got a nice dog she'll find you in the crowd!

I think one of the things we are all missing here is that the last time Connie Barton's name was posted on this forum, it was telling us that she was very ill. So, seeing her name on the judging panel makes me believe she is doing just fine, and that is a great thing! I think I have heard that she was one of the founding members of the LRCP, and for that, we all owe her a debt of gratitude. Also, for the one who says we should have a foreign judge, I believe the Intersex judge is usually American.

I have no problems with Connie Barton... She doesn't like my type but she puts up a good dog. I just can't fathom hiring a judge that has so recently judged an important Labrador show (the national!) The results will be just too predictable! I'll enter my class dogs and bitches, and since my special is a bitch there's no point spending the money because she won't win. Connie has seen her at her best and didn't like her. If I had a stud dog, it would be a different thing, because you are really showing the dog to the sire-shopping crowd no matter who wins.

Connie Barton has been involved in dogs most of her life.

Springfield Kennels was the Premier Labrador Kennel in its day. Connie was at shows every weekend with a van full of Labradors.

Springfield was a large, beautiful and well run kennel with the top dogs of the day residing there.

Mrs R V Clark was the owner of the beautiful Springfield Kennel and with Connies guidance brought over many lovely English imports that are the foundation of our breed today.

Connie was always helpful to novices, a wealth of information, a true pillar of our breed, and helped to make it what it is today.

Connie has also been an AKC rep as well as a Best in Show Judge.

Connie was also a huge driving force in starting the Potomac LRC.Without her you may not have the Potomac to go to.As well as founding the club she was very involved with running the show with knowledge and class.

Anyone should be honoured to be able to exhibit under Connie.

She may have judged the National in 2006, but an awful lot of people didn't go to that National!! She will have a (huge) ring of dogs to choose from. I think it is ludicrous to say that you already know that she will put up a certain handler! Honestly, if you feel this way, don't go! The rest of us will gladly spend the money to go and will enjoy the wonderful atmosphere, have a great time, and learn a few things
The Potomac is certainly about the dogs, but it is also about the happy Labrador feeling that all of us get there

Oh - who cares who they select for judges - I just come because its one big "shopping spree" - I'll be sitting ring side during Breed and stud dog - "shopping" for my girls!

On a side note - Ms. Susan - you're actually coming, no fancy cruise this year! teehee

Interesting to note that the dicussion involves Ms Barton judging the 2006 National and now Potomac 2008.
Isn't the judge at the 2007 LRC National also judging the 2007 Bare Bones two weeks later?
I agree with the last poster-if you dont like it, stay home.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for posting negativity about this judge! Keep your negative thoughts to yourself, Springfield kennels had some fabulous dogs, so sad to see that lots of new breeders couldn't learn from these hallmarks of the breed on how to breed correct labradors. You should feel priviledged to be able to show under her and maybe you'd learn something if you don't win under her, ask and find out why. To the person that said she didn't put your dog up and didn't like her maybe ON THAT DAY she wasn't showing her best on on ANOTHER DAY she just might like her.
Aloha,
Jackie

Oh, but there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many Labrador judges, especially foreign judges that would be so interesting to see... I'm just disappointed. It would be so nice to see someone judge that I hadn't seen before. At least not in the last 2 years.

Shar did you say shopping *perking my ears up!* And as a matter of fact I already have my room reserved!

Who judges Potomac will in the end only make one person happy.
It is a place to see many beautiful dogs in one place, and have your dog seen by many .
It is a great honor to be asked to judge there, and Mrs Barton is long overdue in being invited.

I think that there are lots of people that attend the Potomac that want to see judging that will help to guide them in the right direction - sorting through the specials and picking out the best of the breed. This process allows for one dog to be the BOB, but also points to the rest of the best in the group with JAMS. So - it's not just making one person happy - it's showing some of the people what WE think is the best.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves using this forum to say such nasty things. Connie Barton is someone who has paid her dues many many times over in Labradors, someone who always put the dog before anything else, someone who worked very hard to help bring about the Labrador Retriever Club of The Potomac and the spectacular Spring Specialty of the club. There is no other show in Labradors anything like it. No other show that people from all over the world will come to, to spend three days with Labrador friends and their dogs. That you would even suggest that she is anything but above board and honest in her OPINION of the dogs gathered there, on that day is very low and mean spirited. Very few people, even those with decades in the breed can ever hope to come away with some of the top honors on that day. Potomac is a show that you come to so as to learn, listen and learn some more. For some it is much more than showcasing the current stud dog or string of puppies. It is a place to come together with others in the breed to reaffirm all that they are working towards. Who DOESN"T leave with more knowledge than what they arrived with? You always have the option of showing your displeasure of the judges honored by not exhibiting at the show.

Kendall, I'm so glad you wrote what I was thinking. It's sad to say that many do not have an appreciation for figures that guided and help develop this beloved breed to what it is today, as in all things without a solid foundation all things built on will Crumble, Connie has made a integral contribution to the solid foundation of our wonderful breed in this country.

I don't care if the judge was Suzy Homemaker, but nobody has come up with an answer as to why the same judge as last year's nationals? Was that considered? If it was, what were the overriding reasons to go ahead with the judging slate?

Actually the judges for Potomac are selected years ahead of the actual show date which would probably explain how that happens. Potomac usually has over 100 specials most of which were not at the National. Mrs Barton is a charter member of the LRCP and a darn good Labrador judge. I am looking forward to showing to her again. Her sharp eye for a good dog and wit make her one of my favorite judges.
Traci Stintzcum

I'm sure the National judges are too. And I just thought of this... Ms. Barton knew her schedule. Although they are two of the most prestigious Labrador shows in the world, I think she could have asked to judge one or the other in a different year so that the assignments weren't so close together.

I'm sure it is innocent, but it sure gives the "appearance" of something funny. And she has placed herself in a bad position. If she puts up the same basic group of dogs, she could either be considered consistent or biased. If she doesn't put up the same basic group of dogs, then she could either be impartial or inconsistent. Either way, she's going to have some vocal critics.

Enough on this topic - I'm going to be sure I have a couple of bottles of fine wine in my picnic basket for best of breed!

OK so everyone thinks its easy to pick judges, so lets list who you would like to see at a specialty.

Now remember most clubs are looking for 2009 judges.
Its hard to get someone when clubs are putting more pressure on judges to not accept other assignments.

So let the list begin

This National vs. Potomac discussion is absolutely ludricous. With the National this year being on the West Coast, and the Potomac Bare Bones on the East Coast two weeks later, how many people are actually going to both? And lets all face facts here. With the Potomac drawing consistently 5 to 6 times the National entry, and managed and attended by many of the country's and world's hallmark breeders, which do you think is the REAL National Specialty? The Potomac judges will have far better quality from which to make their selections, and it is generally recognized that to win there is a far greater honor.