Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temperament surprises

Have you ever admired a dog from afar but once you met it at a show and saw temperament issues said no way am I breeding to that dog!?
I am just wondering because a show is a stressful place. Girls in heat and hot boys. Should some things be excused?

Re: Temperament surprises

No excuses in my book. Good temperament needs to be 100% all the time.

I totally agree with Gail.

I agree as well.

A Lab should have great temperament under any circumstances.

Yes, I agree that a Lab should have exceptional temperament. However, one should still keep in mind that they are still DOGS.

Re: Re: Temperament surprises

This post has got me wondering what TYPE of temperament issue would be considered a problem. A nasty dog? A worried dog? A cowering/fearful dog? Or one that hates the heat and won't wag it's tail in the hot ring, but loves everyone still? I hear the word temperament used so often, and it seems to mean a wide range of things to different people.

I myself am working to bring a bit more outgoing attitude into my program, but their temperament is sound as the day is long. I have one boy who hates hot shows, in fact, most outdoor shows are a bit of a drag to him. Yet he loves arenas, loves the hustle bustle, wags his tail and enjoys the indoor shows. Go figure!

I was thinking some issues can be caused also by irresponsible owners at the end of the lead. OK. My dog is standing minding his own business. Another male comes along and rudely sticks his head in my dogs butt. My dog growls and snaps. No one saw the beginning. Only my boy stating "get away from my butt" My dog has "issues?" So, what exactly will it take to say yes this dog has a problem. People get cranky and stress and snap at shows but because they are Labradors they must control themselves at all times? Like one other person said they are dogs.

If I admired a boy and liked him and saw such a thing I best it is best to investigate the "temperament" further before making snap judgements. JMO

Would this same dog turn and growl at a child who came up behind him?

Definatly not a child.

Are you saying if a dog does this with a dog, it would do it with a human? Need to clarify.

No, I was asking a question.

If I knew that the male knew it was another male poking his privates, or eyeing him and calling him on, at a dog show, it wouldn't bother me a bit, especially when they're in that macho stage and are proud as peacocks and think the whole arena is a harem of girls for them.

If the dog showed aggression toward a person, forget it. If he were mine it would be a trip to the vet at the very least, and if it were a pattern, then possibly a one way trip. I watched a black bitch take a nasty nip at the judge's face. The dog was with a handler, who seemed to know the judge. Ok, I thought, the judge isn't excusing her but surely she'll go to the back of the line. Nope. Front. Points. A huge win. Made me barf.

Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises

I have a young male, just over a year who is learning about the bitches and has growled at another male at a show. He was corrected of course.

I appreciate the attached post, as I am not used to having males and not used to this behaviour and have wondered if this boy's temperament was OK since he has growled at another male.

I have asked around and have been told that he is feeling his oats and that it is not uncommon and just needs to be nipped in the bud.

I was curious as to other's thoughts on this. Also, best types of corrections for him? He is super sweet with people.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If I knew that the male knew it was another male poking his privates, or eyeing him and calling him on, at a dog show, it wouldn't bother me a bit, especially when they're in that macho stage and are proud as peacocks and think the whole arena is a harem of girls for them.

If the dog showed aggression toward a person, forget it. If he were mine it would be a trip to the vet at the very least, and if it were a pattern, then possibly a one way trip. I watched a black bitch take a nasty nip at the judge's face. The dog was with a handler, who seemed to know the judge. Ok, I thought, the judge isn't excusing her but surely she'll go to the back of the line. Nope. Front. Points. A huge win. Made me barf.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises

No excuses. I don't want one jumping out at another male or female for any reason. Have seen this at shows. Some lines alot. Who knows what it would do with childern or babys. Maybe not him or her, but an offspring. Not going to have it ! Some will keep making excuses. Not talking being researched or shy. Not talking hating the heat. You can see that difference.

"I was thinking some issues can be caused also by irresponsible owners at the end of the lead. OK. My dog is standing minding his own business. Another male comes along and rudely sticks his head in my dogs butt. My dog growls and snaps. No one saw the beginning. Only my boy stating "get away from my butt" My dog has "issues?" So, what exactly will it take to say yes this dog has a problem. "

Yes I would think the dog is not displaying classic Labrador temperament. I NEVER want to see a Labrador snap! A growl is not completely out of the question in certain circumstances like a dog sticking their head in their privates or postering over them, etc but still I don't like to see a growl at all. I have an intact male who is ever patient, kind, and never aggressive, shy, etc. He is confident and bold yet soft and sensitive. He greets other dogs full on - head up, tail wagging and sniffing, jumping around but NEVER growls or snaps. He was even attacked twice in his life - both times by other Labradors and I don't mean simply snapped at or bitten but actually the dogs bit, held on and started to shake him. He pulled away and looked at me and after it was broken up he was raring to go back to ask why they didn't like him! This is appropriate temperament to me. These are NOT Rottweilers or German Shepherds and were bred to work alongside strange people and strange dogs without flinching and without taking their eyes off the ducks. Yes I know a show is stressful with bitches in season and other intact males but a Labrador should be a Labrador no matter where they are and what is around them.

I see far too many bad temperaments and even more excuses.

Don't be misled by the simple title... worth a read. One of my favorites.
Article by Suzanne Clothier, "HE JUST WANTS TO SAY HI"

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/5693/whisper.html

Sorry, pasted wrong link for Suzanne's article (was looking for Whisper's page for Dana and had copied that link).

Here's the linke to "He Just Wants to Say Hi"
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/articles.html

We can't be kennel blind when it comes to temperaments. I know of one breeder who has a kennel full of nasty, dog aggressive dogs and many others who are quite shy. She has had a near fatal bitch fight and when you see her ringside, she is very careful to always be between her dog and passing dogs (thankfully)! Many of her dogs reside with another breeder and the same dog aggression is evident in most of their dogs too and every pro handler knows to stay clear of their dogs as they have taken the face off more than a few. These breeders make every excuse under the sun for their dogs, even though most people can see it for themselves.

Anyway, this isn't to accuse anyone as I'm certain they are not the only ones, but I think you really need to see the dogs ringside and in their crating areas if you want a good gage of their temperament, and you need to talk to other breeders too, not just the owners, as sometimes they have trouble being objective about temperaments.

"I have a young male, just over a year who is learning about the bitches and has growled at another male at a show. He was corrected of course.

I appreciate the attached post, as I am not used to having males and not used to this behaviour and have wondered if this boy's temperament was OK since he has growled at another male.

I have asked around and have been told that he is feeling his oats and that it is not uncommon and just needs to be nipped in the bud."

I currently have four open males and I can let them play together even when I have a female in season. I don't believe that it should be allowable (or breedable!) for a male to growl at anything - particularly at a show!

Lately I've noticed that it's often the Labs that are barking/growling through the crates at the all breed shows. I don't know about you but that slip in temperament saddens me.

Re: Temperament surprises,

OK here's one for you. We all know that at the shows many times there are bitches in season.
Scenario is, bitch is waiting for her class, dog approaches with irresponsible owner and mounts the bitch. She is not is standing heat and not receptive to the dog, and snaps at the dog, either out of surprise, or a correction.
Do you wash her out of your breeding program because she snapped at the dog?

Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

"Scenario is, bitch is waiting for her class, dog approaches with irresponsible owner and mounts the bitch. She is not is standing heat and not receptive to the dog, and snaps at the dog, either out of surprise, or a correction.
Do you wash her out of your breeding program because she snapped at the dog? "

No this is a bitch not a dog. Bitches can be a little "bitchier" in response to a dog being too "friendly" - they need to tell those randy boys that no it's NOT that time!!!! Seriously to me a bitch is allowed to give a growl when their space is invaded but NOT a male. Why? Because Labrador boys should be silly to a fault. I don't like to see girls barking and growling in the offense - they should meet and greet with tail wagging and smiling the same as a boy however when a boy even looks at them with that leery eye it's okay to give a growl.

Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Because Labrador boys should be silly to a fault.

Why?
This makes no sense to me. Bitches are hormonal. Dogs have testosterone. Both are canines. Both are the Labradors that many think should be completely bulletproof. Should all Labs be bullet proof if that is the Standard? There is one Standard for the Labrador Retriever, both bitch and dog included? Some accept Fair OFA in a bitch, but never in a dog. Some accept Optigen Carrier in a bitch, but never in a dog. Now temperament is also an exception? Nope, it makes no sense to me at all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Thats why they are called Bitches. Don't you snap alot more than your spouse. I sure do. I will except it in a bitch and not a dog. I have had as many as 4 boys that just played together. If the girls started bitching a little they all just turned away from it. Girls rule ! I don't like it when anyone lets their dog run up in your dogs face. Boy or girls. And in the butt is worse to some. Be respectful. Not fair to either dog out in strange places. Why cause something to happen. Boy can be silly, thats what we love about them but not aggressive at all. And I will use Optigen B boys.
I will use a very nice Fair boy. Lots do, so don't group us ! We are all different.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

"This makes no sense to me. Bitches are hormonal. Dogs have testosterone. Both are canines. "

Surely you realize the differences between sexes? Don't you work with horses as well? There is a huge difference between estrogen ruling the body and testosterone.

I said I don't think a bitch or a dog should ever act offensively, however a bitch absolutely needs to tell a dog off when they are being rude - not an all out attack but a growl or air snap is appropriate. A LABRADOR boy should not. They need to be more adaptable and posturing and stiff wagging should be enough. Why should a boy feel the need to fight? Labradors were bred to work together in the field - male, female, intact, etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Lots do, so don't group us ! We are all different.

Didn't group anyone. I wrote "many' which is factual.
And I agree, ill manners should not be tolerated from any sex. While jumping and marking are 'normal' canine behaviors, they are not acceptable and must be eliminated through training. I think in some cases, a growl is normal, but is also unacceptable and the dog is in need of correction and training.
And no my dh snaps as much as I do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Why should a boy feel the need to fight?

If another dog listens to posturing then no further correction is warranted. If the other dog is challenging said dog, then a growl is the next step in canine communication. It is a warning, and does not constitute a dog fighter in any manner or shape. As I said in the previous reply, any form of aggression , whether it is a normal response to certain actions or not needs to be dealt with and corrected just as other 'normal' behaviors such as scent marking, and jumping up on people.
And yes I do realize the diffrences between the sexes, and I think it's an excuse. A 12 mos old intact male dog has something like 10 times the testosterone as a human adult male. Are you telling me that has no impact on the dog's behavior? They are born to procreate. You put them in the show environment with bitches in season, some in standing heat, and you want them to all get along, and play, and share like children?
I am talking here solely about a dog who protects himself or corrects another dog if he feels threatened by growling. Not one that lunges and growls and challenges everything that walks by him.
And you are right- ALL Labradors were bred to work together in the field- male and female, intact.
BTW I have worked with mares in season and stallions and they are both extremely difficult. Your point is?

Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

You can't consider a bitch getting mounted by a randy boy to be the same scenerio as boys being dominant with eachother. It's apples and oranges.

It's completely unacceptable for boys to fight over something they haven't been given permission to have. Whether that be the steak on the counter or a bitch in season. They haven't been given PERMISSION to have her, so they may not fight over her.

A bitch doesn't need to be given permission to mind being mounted. She's not in season, and I have trouble believing that there are (mature) bitches out there that wouldn't snap at a dog for mounting them when they aren't in season. That's part of how bitches indicate that they aren't in season.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Dev'Sun you are ABSOLUTELY 100% right. I think it is ridiculous to hold these dogs to a higher standard then we do human beings.I don't have a stud dog, but I do have two sons, and I would not have expected that every once in a while when pushed too far by another young male that their brain would have been overruled by their hormones and they may have gotten angry.Therefore I would certainly not hold anything against a dog that ocassionally acts in the same manner when pushed too far.
Sorry Sharon but one stud dog does not make you an expert on this subject and be assured that as soon as one says I would NEVER put up with this or that, that you will be tested. That is the only thing you can be sure of in this hobby.

FV,

Have to diagree with you on this one --

My mature girls just sit down. If the boy does not get the hint, then they will growl. Snapping is the last thing they do. The young girls just think it is time to play.

I have three adult breeding males and all are expected to get along. It doesn't matter if there is a bitch in heat or food on the ground, gowling is not allowed.

When I have a bitch here to be bred, I breed the bitch and as soon as the male is finished, he goes right out with the other boys. They have great fun smelling him, but that is it.

That is what I love about our breed -- they all get along!!! I would not have it any other way.

JanG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

I'm sorry but having one stud dog with an exceptional temperament does make me know what I want in a Labrador and I do know many others with stud dogs as well so my experience is not limited to one dog.

As long as those make excuses for their boys we will have temperament problems.

And I would NEVER breed a dog with a temperament issue no matter what.

"It doesn't matter if there is a bitch in heat or food on the ground, gowling is not allowed."

You are saying that your dog's have been trained as to what is allowed and what isn't. What about the dog whose owner keeps them in a kennel situation and has not "trained the dog" as to what is allowed and what is not in public and this dog lets his hormones dictate his behavior. Should we think that dog has a bad temperment? I know I wouldn't or couldn't make that judgment.
Also wondering why most of the stud dog owners keep their dog's on such tight leashes under the tent if you are all so sure of them? Why not just let them all frolic together if you trust them so much!

He he, good point!

I know I keep mine on a tight lead because he pees on everything otherwise

I also don't trust other dogs I don't know not to take his face off since he can be, shall we say overly friendly

"We can't be kennel blind when it comes to temperaments. I know of one breeder who has a kennel full of nasty, dog aggressive dogs and many others who are quite shy. She has had a near fatal bitch fight and when you see her ringside, she is very careful to always be between her dog and passing dogs (thankfully)! Many of her dogs reside with another breeder and the same dog aggression is evident in most of their dogs too and every pro handler knows to stay clear of their dogs as they have taken the face off more than a few. These breeders make every excuse under the sun for their dogs, even though most people can see it for themselves.

Anyway, this isn't to accuse anyone as I'm certain they are not the only ones, but I think you really need to see the dogs ringside and in their crating areas if you want a good gage of their temperament, and you need to talk to other breeders too, not just the owners, as sometimes they have trouble being objective about temperaments. "

ppl that make excuses......."she was attacked as a youngster"......."she doesn't like little dogs"

and actually medicate prior to showing their nasty dogs yup!!!! it happens........of course it's all natural and not really the "same" as using drugs???

When I meet a Labrador I am scared of, check the pedigree is the first thing I do after getting the H outa there

Should we think that dog has a bad temperment?

And THAT is where the conflict lies. Each one of us has criteria for which we would consider a dog or bitch to have a bad temperament. I think the more one studies canines and canine behavior and learning in general, rather than the Labrador only, the more open our minds become to what is 'normal' and what is not.
While I think striving for those Labradors with completely bulletproof temperaments is an ideal, and I do know they exist within my own family, I don't know how realistic it is to think most will ever be bulletproof even if we cull all the others. They are after all canines, not just Labradors. And their environment, training, lack of training, nutrition, socialization, and so much more plays into their reactivity or their lack of it.
I couldn't find my studies relative to the affects of testosterone on behavior in intact males, ( I moved and things are still in boxes) so I did a yahoo search. There are plenty of studies out there from reliable sources that support the increased reactivity due to testosterone. But like every other subject in life, there are always differing opinions and life's experiences.
Thanks for a stimulating thread. Best to us all in achieving the perfect Labrador.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Something we need to consider, I think, is the various scenarios and environments dogs are in. Dogs who are actively competing, traveling, being exposed to and potentially challenged by dogs of different breeds and temperaments can, I think, be realistically expected to respond to those environmental conditions.

It's not ideal, no. However, in certain stressful situations, I think it behooves us all to remember that these are dogs first, labradors second. Frankly, I'd rather have a dog who defends himself (after appropriate communication/correction) than one who doesn't.

I think there are a few incidents that are confusing TEMPERAMENT with MANNERS!

That's probably the most insightful comment I've read in this thread. I totally agree.

Replying to:

I think there are a few incidents that are confusing TEMPERAMENT with MANNERS!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

I agree but what if you breed to a dog across or out of your country and haven't seen him prior? You can ask 100 breeders who have seen him and each will have a different story like the game telephone.

So now you limit yourself to stud dogs you have personally seen. You could miss out on a well tempered boy that would be the very best breeding for your bitch.

The worst case scenario goes unsaid most of the time, temperament issues in the pups

Stuck between a rock and a hard place at times, two opposing forces.

Jan you said that growling is not allowed. Does that mean that possibly you have had to teach them that? You being alpha in the pack?

Just wondering and trying to figure this boy stuff out.

Replying to:

FV,

Have to diagree with you on this one --

My mature girls just sit down. If the boy does not get the hint, then they will growl. Snapping is the last thing they do. The young girls just think it is time to play.

I have three adult breeding males and all are expected to get along. It doesn't matter if there is a bitch in heat or food on the ground, gowling is not allowed.

When I have a bitch here to be bred, I breed the bitch and as soon as the male is finished, he goes right out with the other boys. They have great fun smelling him, but that is it.

That is what I love about our breed -- they all get along!!! I would not have it any other way.

JanG

Some are also confusing temperment with personality.
I have had dogs with great temperments that have had different personalities, some are couch potatoes and others have been more active and curious.

I will NEVER forgrt somthing that JanG said many years ago "All my boys are expected to be able to run together or else they are gone"
I try to remeber that every time I think about having another boy.

TRUST ME THERE ID NOTHING WORSE THAN BEING A NOVICE A GETTING YOUR FIRST BIG NAME DOG AND HAVING THE BREEDERS LIE OR MISSLEAD YOU ABOUT TEMPERMENT, I WILL NEVER AGAIN LET MYSELF BE FOOLED LIKE THAT.

For mr there are no excuses for bad behavior.

I guess I should have seen the red flags, I was told I needed to get him out and socialize him as much as possible, at our very first show a friend of the breeders came looking for us, they had two things to say, he looks beautiful and what is his temperment like.

Some good did come from this, I met some very nice local breeders who took me under thier wings and taught me what temperment should be and how to reconize that my boy was very soft around other dogs and fearful.

An excellent article by Suzanne Clothier. I highly reccomend it.

Cathy M.

My previous post was supposed to be in reply to "vanwhalen" don;t know why it eneded up where it did?

No, I do not teach them not to grow. I just won't keep a dog in my breeding program that I cannot trust. They do play growl or growl in pleasure when they are rubbing their back on the grass. But that is different than the agressive growl.

I had a bitch once that growled at another bitch. I stopped it the first time, but when she did it again on a different occasion and ending up going after another dog, she was spayed and placed in a single dog pet home.

I do not have a kennel situation. All of my dogs run together as a pack and live in the house with me. When I have a bitch in heat or a young puppy, they of course are kept separate.

Even when I have litters, all of the other dogs come for visits. My old male Chase thinks it is his duty to get in the whelping box and baby sit, when the mother leaves for whatever reason. He cleans them and plays very carefully with them.

When they grab where they should not, he lets out a yelp and waits for me to come and free him. This is the type of temperament I expect from labs of any sex.

And as the all time "ALPHA BITCH" I demand! LOL

At the moment, we have 4 adult intact males (all have been bred) and two fully funtioning bitches in the house.

JanG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament surprises,

Sorry, But I am like Sharon and I do not want a boy dog that defends himself. That is not a Labrador.

I have to agree with both of these also. I know my boy has wonderful temperment but who knows what is going to walk up in his face. And I am like you I hate it when the boys pee all over the place. The boys are taught right and wrong.

I have had as many as 4 males here at the same time 3 intact. Never have had a growl. Better not. Girls in heat. Sure they are interested and bark some but not at the other boys. And Jan is right, boy, do they make good baby sitters. For some reason they love the puppys. Just lay up against the fence to play with them. Some are hiding their heads in the sand. They know what temperment is. And no peeing right outside the motel door is the owners fault, not a temperment issue with the dog. We did get going on other things.

Well what about the dog male that killed another male National Rated #1 Canadian Lab and had a taste for blood and kept going?? I don't think so... definetly in the genetics on the culprit.

And, the culprit is kept for breeding again and not spayed... but placed in a home to breed again.

No issue towards people and only dogs, then Labs should be Pit Bull?

Something wrong there!

Labradors are dogs first and Labs second. This hammering of temperment is kind of silly. How most expect an intact male to accept a new, fully grown, intact male into its pack with out proper verbal and non verbal communication is beyond me. Yes, intact males can coexist together peacefully, if they are allowed to work out pack hierarchy. You can't fully judge a dogs temperment at a dog show.

To those that pooh, pooh the statement that a dog can have issues because they were attacked/traumatized at a young age, read about fear periods in young dogs and how phobias develop.

And no, I won't sign my name because of the witch hunts that can happen.

Fear periods are very real. And know they must go through about 3 at different puppy times. Say, under a year. We need a new subject line. Also, don't think the girls and their temperment issues should be excuse with just hormones. Some are just not nice.

Anon,

I have to disagree with you.

Yes, labs are dogs. But they are dogs that have been bred for certain traits like retrieving and good temperament. Dobies, Rotts and Akitas are also dogs, but I would not want my lab to have the same temperament as a Dobie or a Rott or an Akita nor any other breed. All dogs are not the same nor would we want them to be the same.

I totally disagree. Our breed is known for its wonderful temperament. We need to keep it that way.

Well, I do. Last night I came home with another male who I am taking to the National. I opened the door and out we went into the dog area. My three intact males came running over to meet the stranger and then they all had a peeing party! Today I had 5 intact males and 2 intact bitches in the dog area and a bitch in heat in the garage. Did the breeding and put them all outside together (except the in heat bitch of course). Guess what - after a round of sniffing, they had another peeing party.

At one of the recent shows, we had a nice set up under the trees with fans blowing on the xpens. Two differnt people brought their dogs over to cool them off - both bitches and males. They went into xpens right next to our dogs - nothing, but wagging tails and lots of sniffing.

No working out pack hierarchy in either of these situations nor many others that I have seen. They are labs and should get along with other dogs.

A dog that is self confident and of good temperament should have no trouble at a dog show. Yes, there are fear periods and bad things can happen, but a dog with a stable temperament will get over that.

I had a male attacked by another dog (male) at a dog show when he was about a year old. It took several stitches to sew him up. When he recovered, we went out to shows again. He finished his championship and could be seen in the ring rolling on his back with aboundon while other male dogs stood around him. No I did not breed him, I imported him from another country. A good lab temperament is a good lab temperament, no matter where it comes from.

Temperament is important!

JanG

Temperament surprises

In the words of respected breeder/judge Michael Woods
"If we loose temperament we have lost our breed"

Smart man he is.

"I had a male attacked by another dog (male) at a dog show when he was about a year old."

Again I ask you to research and understand the social maturation periods, what can happen during those times and how phobias develop.

Take that same dog and have it attacked when it is 4 months old and you have a completely different dog.

Excuses!! As Jan G said " a dog with a good temperament will get over bad things".

Tara - that is a great M. Woods quote, I will remember it for the future!
I agree with you Janice, and I have had similar experiences. I currently have a 3 yr old girl who at 8 months old was bitten and rolled by another Lab (female) at ringside. It took a bit to convince her that the ring was a fun place again, but now she is 3 points from her CH. and a joy to show. Temperament is critical, bad temperament is unacceptable and getting along (as you described) is the norm in lines that I have bred into and the kennels that I admire.
Labradors may go through "stages" but I personally do not ever consider a bad temperament stage acceptable.

Anon,

Again, I have. Have you reasearched breed specific social maturation periods?

JanG

Ok...what about this scenario...someone mentioned crated dogs ringside & manners....I have a dog I co-own with a family. I show him and he travels with me and all of my dogs to the shows. If he is in his crate in our car or if he is in the yard behind the fence he sounds like a vicious watchdog. He barks and growls and looks dreadful....BUT...when out walking around on his leash or even out and about off leash...he is friendly with all creatures. He lets children climb all over him, pull his ears, dress him up in clothes. He plays nicely with all dogs..male, female...he'll stand ringside with other intact males bumping and sniffing him and he just wags his tail.....if he is crated ringside he keeps his mouth shut....but anybody that walked past the back of the car when he was crated in there would think he is NUTS...I'm sure it would start totally inaccurate gossip about his temperament. My take on it is that he is an excellent watch dog with super lab temperament. I love it...my car & house are safe but he is also a love. What do you think?

There is a HUGE difference between having one male in your kennel than there is in having two or more. One is always a piece of cake. ALSO, there is a HUGE HUGE difference if they are used alot or only once in a blue moon. Until you've had several that are popular for many years, you really shouldn't comment.

Beth,

I have and I do. And I still run them all together without problem. Or go to shows and put them with other males that they do not know without problems. They are LABS!

JanG

as do I but some just don't get it.

What is that being popular ? Temperment is always.
With male dogs there are bitc-s in heat right in your own back yard. If they are used alot they should be very good. If not maybe then be a little testie. I don't understand where you are coming from. My boys are together. Lay like puppys when it is cold and under no condition fuss. And the person with the dog that barks or growl out of the back of a van. Will only say, that is when I decided not to use a stud dog I had looked at, for the last year. I just don't go there. Females at ring side can also have temperment issues. One thing if they snap at a male nose in the wrong place, but some just snap out at any other dogs. Don't like it.

"Temperament is inherited and innate. It can be described as a dog’s overall outlook on life. His drives, thresholds, traits, and instincts can give us insight into his temperament. The ideal dog will have an even temperament, and will not become overly emotional when exposed to day to day stimuli including sights, sounds and activities."

As far as a dog acting aggressive only when crated goes - I don't like it and I don't accept it. I think it is the beginning of a problem, personally. If you want a watch dog, get a German Shepherd. I field train with someone whose bitch started out as being "car protective". She turned out to be an aggressive nightmare as time went on - she would attack other dogs with no provocation or warning.

I field train with a large group of dogs, most all of them intact. We turn our dogs out at the end of the day and let them play, and all get along nicely - males and females. A laid-back Labrador temperment is one of the nicest things about our breed, and one I hope we never lose. Others may disagree but I want no part of a dog that I have to worry about around other dogs.