Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with food switch problems

Hi, Over the last 2 weeks I have been slowly switching my dogs food from Pro-Plan Chicken Rice to Kirkland. After about the first week when I was doing half & half of the foods I noticed some loose stools between both dogs and thought nothing of it. Then things seemed to firm up around here and now they are both having bouts of diarrhea. There is no fever & both are happy and hungry, but I wonder if I should try something else or wait it out

Re: Help with food switch problems

I assume they weren't doing well on ProPlan for some reason? I've had something running through my dogs for the last couple of weeks. A bit of diarrhea, maybe one vomiting incident, but then it clears up. Then the next dog gets it. I haven't really been anywhere, but I assume it's a virus. The change of food could just be coincidental.

Re: Re: Help with food switch problems

I have had something going through my guys too. One threw up and had diarrhea for a few days--probiotics helped clear it up. Then another had problems for a couple of days, etc.

Only the first one went off her food for about 12 hours. The others never missed a beat.

MK

Re: Help with food switch problems

I've had dogs that had those problems, even with a slow switch. They got over it in a few days. I have had a couple dogs on Kirkland in the past and they never had nice, firm stools on it. They also had a TON of waste when on that food. A ton of waste that smelled especially bad. I just can't live with that.